It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: ONE MORE ARTICLE.....
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 pm 

From back in April.

"What You Lose When You Sign That Donor Card"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... _multiline

Post subject: Re: Organ Donors
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:38 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
I discovered this years ago. When my sister passed away. I was stunned when I found out what was involved. I called the big organization that does organ donations - they confirmed. I talked to the funeral director, she confirmed - I did a lot of research to find out whether they REALLY took a beating heart out of a donor. They do.

Then I tried to tell people. No one believed me. We'll have to do more research on that . . . .

This word really needs to get out.

BTW - big exceptions: you CAN donate a kidney or an eye after your heart stops beating in some cases. AND, you can donate some organs (such as kidneys, skin, lobes of lungs) while you're completely alive and well!

The real issue is that they are no longer using "brain death" as a standard. They are now using "cardiac death" as a standard. If your heart stops once, they might declare you dead and harvest your organs, even if brain scans still show you to be alive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:14 am 

LisaTX wrote:
I won't even try to lie to myself by saying I would let them take out the beating heart of one of my kids if they were dying. Nope, not happening. I've heard of parents being asked that while grieving and watching their kid die. I think I would have to hurt the person that asked me to do something like that.

Sorry, Lisa - my comment wasn't clear. I meant - if my kid's heart were failing, and I was told that a transplant was the ONLY way to save her life, would I *accept* it?

(I *KNOW* I wouldn't let someone take her heart out while it was beating! BTDT with my late sister.)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:23 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
LisaTX wrote:
I won't even try to lie to myself by saying I would let them take out the beating heart of one of my kids if they were dying. Nope, not happening. I've heard of parents being asked that while grieving and watching their kid die. I think I would have to hurt the person that asked me to do something like that.

Sorry, Lisa - my comment wasn't clear. I meant - if my kid's heart were failing, and I was told that a transplant was the ONLY way to save her life, would I *accept* it?

(I *KNOW* I wouldn't let someone take her heart out while it was beating! BTDT with my late sister.)

Yeah, that would be a tough decision to have to make. Would I accept something from someone that I wouldn't do myself? I guess I would only know if I was in that situation and I hope I never am.

Post subject: ANNA1111.....
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:46 pm 

If its not too personal or painful, did you have an experience with your sister, where you had questions about whether or not to donate?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm 

It's not too personal or painful at all. My late sister had several strokes at the age of 46. From the first stroke to her passing was about 8 days. During that time, she went into a coma, underwent "brain death" and then about 12 hours after that, her heart stopped beating.

We WANTED to donate her organs - because we were ignorant of what was involved. We offered. The hospital said that her overall health was not good enough for her to be an organ donor, and we couldn't do it. We were disappointed. After her passing, I mentioned our disappointment to the funeral director (a good Christian friend from Church). She said - thank goodness - you wouldn't have wanted to go through that. And, she explained. I didn't believe her! I started doing research - and found out the facts. WOW!

The other thing we discovered was that once the hospital determines you are "brain dead" - they won't give life support - even if the family wishes it. Her sons objected to her being taken off life support and were told "Too Bad!" (in those words!) I was very grateful that she passed away normally - her heart stopped beating - before they were able to "unplug" her - because that would have been another devastating event.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:57 pm 

It's not too personal or painful at all. My late sister had several strokes at the age of 46. From the first stroke to her passing was about 8 days. During that time, she went into a coma, underwent "brain death" and then about 12 hours after that, her heart stopped beating.

We WANTED to donate her organs - because we were ignorant of what was involved. We offered. The hospital said that her overall health was not good enough for her to be an organ donor, and we couldn't do it. We were disappointed. After her passing, I mentioned our disappointment to the funeral director (a good Christian friend from Church). She said - thank goodness - you wouldn't have wanted to go through that. And, she explained. I didn't believe her! I started doing research - and found out the facts. WOW!

The other thing we discovered was that once the hospital determines you are "brain dead" - they won't give life support - even if the family wishes it. Her sons objected to her being taken off life support and were told "Too Bad!" (in those words!) I was very grateful that she passed away normally - her heart stopped beating - before they were able to "unplug" her - because that would have been another devastating event.

(side note, her sons were barely adult- so they had the rights of next-of-kin, and the responsibilities of making those choices - hence the fact that *they* objected instead of some other family members)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:17 pm 

This was definitely NOT the case with our hospital. They seemed a little taken aback that we decided against life support even after brain death and one heart stopping. They were more than willing to put ds on life support as long as we wished.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:04 pm 

It was that way with my aunt, Sis. Her dd was asking about having her unplugged because my aunt never wanted to be kept alive by machines. The doctor stopped her right there. He told her where there was still hope, he would not allow anything to be taken off of her.
Thank God!
She did recover eventually and lived almost 3 more years! She saw her twin great dd's born and lived to celebrate their 2nd birthday. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:14 pm 

There's a difference between being on life support & being brain dead - I'm guessing that with your Aunt, Tory, she was not brain dead?

Sis, I'm glad to hear it's not that way everywhere. I thought it was.