It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:59 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Organ Donors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 pm 

http://www.lifesitenews.com/mobile/news ... ms-lawsuit

Post subject: Re: Organ Donors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm 

Horrifying. I am a potential donor identified on my license. I will have to do some more research on this and talk to my family, as I have known that once I die, I have no rights and my family could decide not to have my organs donated, but I was not aware that the brain death issue was being used as a way to harvest organs when a chance of recovery was still viable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:27 pm 

I am not a donor, my dh and children also know that I do not want to be harvested. I may be selfish but I want buried all that God gave me and likewise if I have something that fails I will deal with it. Living with a donated organ is NOT a piece of cake, lots of health issues beyond the original problem. Not really quality of life.

Have you seen the old movie, Coma?

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:40 pm 

Want to hear something that will make you even more afraid?

There are folks pushing for organ harvesting BEFORE brain death (and I am not talking about the rumors that China is harvesting organs from living prisoners)

I was trying to find a story from about 10 years ago about a mom that was "encouraged" to allow her son's organs to be harvested (I think it was in Colorado - I am fairly certain it was on cnn.com) when I stumbled across doctors pushing for organ harvesting at "Cardiac Death".

From the link I am about to put out there, this is their rationale:
"Transplantation is usually performed using brain dead donors."
"Many potential donors expire without meeting brain death criteria."
"Donation after cardiac death (DCD) may significantly increase the available pool of donor organs."
"DCD=donation after cardiac death (patient is NOT “brain dead”)"
"Support withdrawn in planned fashion, donor allowed to expire (controlled DCD)"

Are you KIDDING ME?!?!? (sadly I am not)

They go on to explain that at their clinic alone they did this 24 times to people between the age of 10 and 59 between August of 2004 and October of 2009 as part of their "study." They didn't even wait for the folks to be brain dead before they started harvesting parts. They admit that the "perception" of DCD and the issue of death announcements are future challenges. You think? People have a problem with you cutting up an injured (but not dead or braindead person) so you can give their organs to someone else? Really?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:02 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Horrifying. I am a potential donor identified on my license. I will have to do some more research on this and talk to my family, as I have known that once I die, I have no rights and my family could decide not to have my organs donated, but I was not aware that the brain death issue was being used as a way to harvest organs when a chance of recovery was still viable.

Pam,
I've read several articles on this topic over the last year or so....& I am no longer in favor of anyone I care about, being an organ donor.
We all need to have these serious, discussions with our families!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm 

I didn't realize any of this either. I'm seriously considering changing my status. My license is up for renewal this year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 pm 

I discovered this years ago. When my sister passed away. I was stunned when I found out what was involved. I called the big organization that does organ donations - they confirmed. I talked to the funeral director, she confirmed - I did a lot of research to find out whether they REALLY took a beating heart out of a donor. They do.

Then I tried to tell people. No one believed me. We'll have to do more research on that . . . .

This word really needs to get out.

BTW - big exceptions: you CAN donate a kidney or an eye after your heart stops beating in some cases. AND, you can donate some organs (such as kidneys, skin, lobes of lungs) while you're completely alive and well!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:49 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I discovered this years ago. When my sister passed away. I was stunned when I found out what was involved. I called the big organization that does organ donations - they confirmed. I talked to the funeral director, she confirmed - I did a lot of research to find out whether they REALLY took a beating heart out of a donor. They do.

Then I tried to tell people. No one believed me. We'll have to do more research on that . . . .

This word really needs to get out.

BTW - big exceptions: you CAN donate a kidney or an eye after your heart stops beating in some cases. AND, you can donate some organs (such as kidneys, skin, lobes of lungs) while you're completely alive and well!

--------------------------------------------------------------

From what I understand they can also CHOOSE to give a medication, (I forget the name), that would cause you to feel NO pain.....but they DON'T!
And I'm NOT talking the paralyzing, medication, but an anesthesia of some sort.
A family member could certainly INSIST upon this though,
(but perhaps that would adversely affect the organ(s)....who knows why they don't do it)!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:04 pm 

The current medical understanding is that in cases of brain-death, the person cannot feel pain (in fact, one of the primary methods of diagnosing brain death is introducing painful stimuli and seeing if they hurt)

If the medical understanding is correct, and the diagnosis is correct, the person would not feel pain when their beating heart is removed (or other organs are removed).

My feeling is that a person with a beating heart is *alive* - and whether they feel pain or not, they should not have their life taken away.

If doctors administer anesthetic routinely in these cases, they would be admitting that either 1) they're not sure if brain-dead people feel pain or 2) they're not sure of their diagnosis of brain death. Either of those would be a huge moral dilemma (not to mention a political landmine).

Anesthetic probably wouldn't be a huge problem for the organ, since the organ recipient will also be anesthetized.

And, just a side note, we have a family member who is alive because of an organ donation - these questions are not easy! We can *think*, "If my child were dying I'd let them go". . . .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:00 pm 

I won't even try to lie to myself by saying I would let them take out the beating heart of one of my kids if they were dying. Nope, not happening. I've heard of parents being asked that while grieving and watching their kid die. I think I would have to hurt the person that asked me to do something like that.