It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Are these signs
Constitutional 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Un-Constitutional 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Morally right from a Christian perspective 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Morally wrong from a Christian perspective 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
I would support these in my town. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I would not support these in my town. 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Re: What do you think of this?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 pm 

Yes - that makes sense : )

Sheer nastiness is a big problem in our culture.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 pm 
Site Owner

I guess what I was trying to ask is do you think this is morally right or wrong? I didn't know the organization was Jewish.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 pm 

I could be wrong on the Jewish thing - thought I had read that somewhere, but may be mistaken.

I'm not sure I see it on the sin/virtue continuum so much as on the smart/stupid continuum. Don't think it hits the smart end of that spectrum ; )

But, I don't see it as virtuous, either. The Bible says we will held accountable for every careless word. (a thought I find a little scary, myself)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:07 am 
Anna1111 wrote:
To me, when we don't speak because we're *afraid,* the te**or*sts have already won. What the legal system couldn't to to revoke our First Amendment rights, the T*rr*rists have succeeded at.

I would refrain from making these comments because I think they're unfair, unkind - whatever.

But if it's for fear of provoking violence - That's like being an abused spouse who tries to be more and more perfect so they won't get hit. Eventually all your freedoms are gone . . . . and you're still getting hit.

Not a good direction for our country to be going in, free speech wise.

Well - I've been an abused spouse, and sure didn't try to be more and more perfect, but I was smart enough to know not to provoke anything on purpose. And that's how I see these signs, as provoking on purpose. I see it as stupid and not necessary. When you know someone will hit you, why provoke? There are other ways of getting your point across, other ways of dealing with the issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:41 am 

My apologies if I stepped on a raw nerve, Allie - I didn't know anything of your past. I'm sorry you went through that.

My point was simply, that like Sarah in the Bible verse below, we should do what is right because it is right, not because we are afraid. Fear is a poor motivator because it indiscriminately motivates people to do wrong or right. And, the Bible counsels us over and over not to be afraid. Seeking the virtue of God will never motivate us as a nation to do the wrong thing, but fear could.

I Peter 3:6 ". . . like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

I can think of countless stories of Christian Martyrs who courageously said what God wanted them to say, knowing they would be tortured and killed for it. It looked to all the world like provocation, but it was what God commanded. I mean, Daniel could have simply prayed privately where people couldn't see him, and would not have "provoked" anyone - but instead he chose to pray *in front of the window*!

On the other hand, saying something God does not want us to say is NEVER appropriate - even if there is no earthly penalty.

I guess what I'm saying is that fear should not be part of our equation one way or the other - righteousness should be.