It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:44 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: I suppose I've been living under a rock again?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:51 pm 

Tory wrote:
Sis wrote:
Tory wrote:
A lot of places do have online ordering now.
I saw a new thing for Mc donalds where they don't have cashiers anymore but you order through a kiosk at the front counter.
SO.... people are being replaced by computers and we wonder why no one has jobs.
:(

Seems to me McD's employees asked for that one! :mrgreen:

I have to agree. When you demand $15 an hour for a fast food job you really don't deserve a job.
My ds's are both doing heavy labor jobs outside in the hot or cold weather and not making anywhere near that amount. My dh was barely making that and he was working as a drafter for an engineering firm.

This is what I have been telling people all along....if you continue to push for $15 as a "McDonald's" worker, eventually, computers will replace you and the company will just continue to have a really thin line of workers. They just don't get it. Like you mentioned, there are people out there with special skills in medical, legal, and other areas that either went to a special school or have a degree, and they are not even making $15 an hour. Heck, our own MILITARY does not make that either! Why on earth does a fast food worker deserve $15 an hour?!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:55 pm 

They DON'T deserve it, they just want it.

:lol:

I was in wal mart one day a few years ago and the lady checking out my stuff was complaining about her job. I told her she needed to be thankful because they can replace her with a computer and then she'd be out of a job. A few months later they installed about 10 self-check out machines. I wonder if she lost her job.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:05 pm 

Tory wrote:
They DON'T deserve it, they just want it.

:lol:

I was in wal mart one day a few years ago and the lady checking out my stuff was complaining about her job. I told her she needed to be thankful because they can replace her with a computer and then she'd be out of a job. A few months later they installed about 10 self-check out machines. I wonder if she lost her job.

Quite possible.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:14 pm 
Site Owner

Employees pricing themselves out of the market has happened before. Does anyone remember phone operators (the person you talked to when you dialed 0)? When I started with AT&T in the 1980's, operators were already on their way out. The union had elevated their salary to a point that the company was actively looking for ways to eliminate them. First they got simple systems that automated placed collect or person to person calls, and then they got more complex systems that did almost everything the operator did. Finally, they started charging for talking to the operator. Tens of thousands were thrown out of work but no one screamed. They were offered job training as part to the exit package so they could get qualified for something else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:22 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
Employees pricing themselves out of the market has happened before. Does anyone remember phone operators (the person you talked to when you dialed 0)? When I started with AT&T in the 1980's, operators were already on their way out. The union had elevated their salary to a point that the company was actively looking for ways to eliminate them. First they got simple systems that automated placed collect or person to person calls, and then they got more complex systems that did almost everything the operator did. Finally, they started charging for talking to the operator. Tens of thousands were thrown out of work but no one screamed. They were offered job training as part to the exit package so they could get qualified for something else.

Yesterday, we stopped at NASA before driving home. In the food court area, they had automated machines that replaced the cashier to take your order. There was one person at a station, but there were also 10 machines that took your order and credit card or cash. People wanting $15 or more to do this kind of job is no longer going to exist.