It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:49 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Taking DD (andmore)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:53 pm 

Whenever I talk to youngpeople who are looking at career & education prospects, I encourage them to "stairstep" their degrees starting at the vocational high school or community college level. That way they can work their way thru school *in their chosen field.*

It makes a great resume, provides experience in the chosen field, and makes grad school so much *easier.* Besides all that, it cuts down on student debt. You can get much higher wages in a skilled field than you can in fast food.

Additionally, if in the middle of your plans, life intervenes and you end up getting married or having a baby earlier than planned, you still have a skill - unlike that person with an academic undergrad degree and two years of grad school who drops out and still has no job credentials.

For instance, if they want to be a doctor, start out as a paramedic, then physician's assitant, then go to med school.

For nurses, start as a medical assistant, then LPN, then RN.

If they want to be a lawyer, start out as a legal secretary or paralegal, then go to law school.

Want to be a dentist? Start out as a hygenist or dental assistant.

Want to be a software engineer? take a short A+ course, or webdesign course to get you started -

etc.

Besides the above advantages, if you find out you hate the field, you're not 100K in debt before figuring it out : )

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:03 pm 

I hate to this type of relationship between a parent and child. I am praying that you and your dd can both soften your hearts and forgive one another.
(I grew up watching my dad never speak to my sister and it was that way until the day he died. My sister still is very traumatized by it.)
It just makes me very sad and worried for you and your dd.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:11 pm 

Tory wrote:
I hate to this type of relationship between a parent and child. I am praying that you and your dd can both soften your hearts and forgive one another.
(I grew up watching my dad never speak to my sister and it was that way until the day he died. My sister still is very traumatized by it.)
It just makes me very sad and worried for you and your dd.

Tory has a good point.

This has been going on a long time now.

Maybe you could *all* consider going & talking to one of your pastors and working things out.

No matter whose fault it is, you wouldn't want to have a rupture in your relationship that never heals.