It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Got home from church
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:50 pm 

and told the kids that after lunch, they need to clean up their toys that didn't get cleaned up yesterday. To which my smart mouth son replies, "I thought Sunday was a day of rest, mom!" To which his equally smart mouthed mom replies, "It's a day of rest for *ME* because I got all *MY* stuff done yesterday! :lol:

My kids are too smart for my own good!

Post subject: Re: Got home from church
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:53 am 

In the New Testament, there is no command to treat Sunday as a day of rest. In fact, first century Christians would have frequently had to work on Sunday and then come together (or come together before work). It is a tradition that evolved later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 am 

Hence the reason we did cleaning yesterday, lol!

My ds said that because we've been studying creation for Bible study and the 10 commandments and stuff. I thought the joke was hilarious! He'll try anything to get out of cleaning!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 am 

True enough. Our daughter will occasionally throw a fit for 20 minutes before finally doing what she is asked. Anything to delay the inevitable, right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:29 pm 

LOL! Lisa.. your kids are getting too clever!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 pm 

DS brought this up today in the car. He wanted to know why we don't treat the Sabbath like a day of rest. He's memorizing the 10 commandments. I explained to him that we are under Grace now and not under the law. He said that we still have to follow the 10 commandments so why not that part. I didn't have a good answer for him.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 pm 

I was raised to observe the Lord's Day on Sunday. My Grandparents wouldn't eat at a restaurant on Sunday, buy a newspaper, listen to the radio, etc (all these activities required others to work). Mom wasn't as strict as her parents had been, but still kept many of their traditions. We were forbidden to do homework on Sundays, or play outside, or do unnecessary work - including tidying toys! : )

I have great respect & admiration for the values they raised me with.

A good movie to get you thinking on this topic is "Chariots of Fire." It's a great movie about a Great Christian (I think of him as a Saint, even tho he's not from a tradition that calls people "Saint" with a capitol S). He was an olympian in the movie, but that was not the highlight of his life to his way of thinking! He later became a missionary to China, and died heroically during the war. He was imprisioned by the Japanese for being a Western Missionary, and became ill with a brain tumor. Since he knew he was dying, he gave his food to others so they would live. Eric Liddel was his name.

The thing is, that 100 years ago or so, nearly EVERY Christian tradition DID observe the Lord's Day. It's not a denominational thing, or a doctrinal thing, it's just a matter of how our culture has changed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:36 pm 

I agree with you Anna. And I observe Sunday as my day of rest, but doing things I consider restful. I almost always go for a horseback ride on Sunday afternoon, and marvel at God's creation. But I also make it a point to never shop, go to a restaurant or do anything that requires someone else to work. But I certainly do feed my family and feed my animals.
I DO make certain that Sunday is different from the other days of the week--beyond attending a worship service.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:42 pm 

Tory wrote:
LOL! Lisa.. your kids are getting too clever!!

The funny thing is, when I reminded him that we don't *have* to rest on Sunday, he insisted that we do, lol. Yep, they are getting too clever for me. Nothing gets past them and ds definitely inherited my sense of humor!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:08 pm 

Ahhh. But, God blessed and sanctified the SABBATH as a day of rest. That would be saturday. Nowhere does it mention "resting" on the Lord's Day. Honestly, when I observe a rest day on the Sabbath, the Lord's Day goes much better. : )