It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: One of the saddest lives I can imagine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:04 pm 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-finance/take-bring-your-child-to-work-day-career-family

Paying someone else to raise her kids & cook her meals, while she goes out to chase a buck.

She says she "outsources" most of her parental privileges.

How sad that our culture promotes this tragic lifestyle as "success"

Being forced to work is one thing - many folks have no choice. But choosing such a thing? I just don't get it.

Post subject: Re: One of the saddest lives I can imagine
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 pm 

It's is sad. She is teaching her kids the almighty dollar is god. Someday they will return their mother the favor and put her in the best-money-can-buy nursing home.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:12 pm 

I know people like that. Most of them were raised poor and don't want their kids to do without the things they had to do without. Actually, my mom was one of them! EXCEPT - I was also the apple of her eye. So, what she did was create a lucrative business at home that I was part of - a daycare! She didn't have to pay for daycare for ME - AND - she made as much as my dad, if not more!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:32 pm 

But, your Mother's situation is an entirely different situation than leaving 5 daughters in the care of others while you leave them to work. My Grandmother also was a teacher. She taught in home "Kindergarten" (back in the days before it was public), and then when my Mother entered public school (where Grandpa was the Principal), Grandma went to work there as a teacher. The entire family stayed together while still earning a living during the Great Depression - a huge blessing, back in the days before homeschool : )

I would be so devastated if I HAD to leave my care of my daughter to work - I cannot imagine doing it by CHOICE!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:24 am 

[quote="Anna1111"]But, your Mother's situation is an entirely different situation than leaving 5 daughters in the care of others while you leave them to work. My Grandmother also was a teacher. She taught in home "Kindergarten" (back in the days before it was public), and then when my Mother entered public school (where Grandpa was the Principal), Grandma went to work there as a teacher. The entire family stayed together while still earning a living during the Great Depression - a huge blessing, back in the days before homeschool : )

I would be so devastated if I HAD to leave my care of my daughter to work - I cannot imagine doing it by CHOICE![/qu

If you didn't know you had a choice, if you didn't know you were "allowed" to homeschool, your thinking process would be a little different, tho'. (I'm playing devil's advocate for this woman, ya know!) There are many reasons women go into the work force rather than staying home with their kids. I'm sure they have convinced themselves that it's for the good of ______ (the family, the kids, the finances, so she doesn't go crazy sitting at home with "nothing to do" but talk to littles, lose the value of her education or become ineffective in her profession).

Anyways, WE didn't choose that path. I didn't even require a babysitter many times. I hated leaving them with others. I wasn't left with babysitters as a child, either.

In my sphere of people, I can't think of any mom's that went to work that were NOT poor growing up. ??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:23 pm 

"There are many reasons women go into the work force rather than staying home with their kids. I'm sure they have convinced themselves that it's for the good of ______ (the family, the kids, the finances, so she doesn't go crazy sitting at home with "nothing to do" but talk to littles, lose the value of her education or become ineffective in her profession)."

YES! I think that's exactly what I find so tragic about it! It's like watching someone forage dinner out of a garbage can while a 5-star restaurant is giving out free dinners right in front of them.

I know of one woman who is struggling to find daily childcare for her toddler while she goes to a minimum-wage job. The childcare is costing almost as much as she makes. She is doing this NOT because she needs the money, but because she (by her own admission) can't stand to be with her own child! And other Moms who tell me that they have to "get away from the kids" and that's why they work.

Like you, I don't care for babysitters. DD has never had one. She DOES occasionally go for an overnight with her Godparents - because SHE wants to - not because we want rid of her. She does go to other events like camp of her own choice.

I know Moms who work who simply don't need the money, and didn't grow up poor - just don't like being with their own kids (by their own admission -sometimes, sadly, while the kids stand there hearing them say it :( ) . I find that more inconceivable than disliking chocolate, sugar, and coffee - all three! :D