It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: What's going on in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:04 pm 

Hello my quiet friends! An unusually busy time for me right now. On pins and needles waiting for dd and grandson to arrive. Helping set up a women's prayer room at our church. Working with a puter and printer that don't want to work smoothly. The snow is melting which means water in our basement and OH! the piles of dog poo that have "come to light"!!! :o The north side of the house where the front door is still has ice while the rest is turning green. (That first step can be a doozy!) Dh is beginning to have reactions to the chemo but he's willing to power thru for 4 more months. And this change of lifestyle challenge i'm on is very time-consuming!

And beyond those things that just happen, I have been reading more! I think I've read 6 books in the last 6 weeks? I have one library book to finish and then i'm going to focus only on books I have at home that I haven't read yet! LOL

I'd love to hear what everybody is up to!

But, what I really stopped in for is inspiration for that prayer room. I'm a practical person. I know we need Kleenex! A Bible or two, pens and paper. Something to have prayer requests on - a white board? A notebook?

I'm thinking more of things for us to reflect on - plaques with scripture verses or ?

If you've been in, or have, a prayer room, what would you suggest we include?

Post subject: Re: What's going on in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:15 am 

Been doing some reading, too! Re-reading a book set in Florida in the late 50's. Alas, Babylon.

About that prayer room, I remember a couple of prayer rooms at the hospitals my dad was in. I liked one that had a table against the wall from where the door was. It had little prayer brochures on it. There was something to kneel on aside from chairs to sit on. A flickering fake battery operated candle. I guess that was for safety sake. Very simple.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:50 am 

It's lovely to hear from both of you! It has been quiet on here!

I can't believe you've still had snow in the yard until now, Sis! Here, the kids were wearing shorts at co-op, and even *I* took off my coat (which indicates it was probably well into the mid 70's ; )

Hope your DD and DGS get there soon!

So sorry that your DH is struggling with his medical treatment.

Praying for you all.

This is what we Orthodox think of when you say "Prayer Room"
http://manymercies.blogspot.com/2017/01/why-do-orthodox-christians-have-prayer.html

I know that many of the traditions are not compatible with yours, but maybe you'll find some inspiration here that you can adapt : )

Ironically, the infographic totally overlooked the obviously present Prayer Book and Bible! I guess just too obvious to mention. Also, for Orthodox, a Komboschini (https://www.orthodoxprayer.org/Prayer%20Rope.html) (Prayer Rope) is commonly found in most Icon corners, and not mentioned here.

What have WE been up to? Well, it's Lent. Which means we have Church every night until Pascha (Easter) - that means that our evening routine has to be more efficient, if we're going to make it to Church!

Also, we had co-op yesterday, and I was the afternoon volunteer (classroom assistant to the teacher of the littles, and afternoon recess supervisor with two others). EXHAUSTING! And, yes, I'm a little embarrassed to be exhausted by that. :oops: But, it's lovely to see all the little kids. They're so cute :)

Picnic/playdate at the park today with good friends.

School is going swimmingly. I asked DD at portfolio review time, which subjects had been most difficult in the past year? (She had struggled with quite a few concepts as she encountered them, as is normal) She replied "None of them. Once I understand them, then they're easy!" Which really does sum it up quite well :D

I'm dealing with everyday frustrations of dealing with the medical profession. Calls that aren't returned for days, medical records that are messed up, that sort of thing. Trying to be forgiving & trust God, yet know when I SHOULD complain because things have gone too far - prayers much appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 am 

Briva wrote:
Been doing some reading, too! Re-reading a book set in Florida in the late 50's. Alas, Babylon.

I've heard that title, Briva, but know nothing about it. Would love to hear some details, if you're willing : )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:55 pm 

Set after the Korean War, Russia attacks US and allied military bases in a 1-day war. They were nuclear so lots of people died. The remnant of society has to learn how to survive from scratch again (moving to where there is a water supply, growing your own food, protecting your family from marauders).

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:14 pm 

Sounds suspenseful - but sad. The title makes sense when you describe the plot!

It might be interesting to learn the survival stuff, if it has much of that : )

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:15 pm 

[quote="Anna1111"]It's lovely to hear from both of you! It has been quiet on here!

I can't believe you've still had snow in the yard until now, Sis! Here, the kids were wearing shorts at co-op, and even *I* took off my coat (which indicates it was probably well into the mid 70's ; )

<<< :o We still have snow in the shady areas. And one lady did go grab a blanket for the prayer room today. ;) She suggested a heater be put in there. sigh I would die of heat.

Hope your DD and DGS get there soon!
<<< Me, too! They're going to court because he didn't bother to show up to simply sign the paper. He's so special. :? She'll either leave directly from court or, hopefully by the next day. Unless something goes terribly wrong in court. :geek:

>>> Also, we had co-op yesterday, and I was the afternoon volunteer (classroom assistant to the teacher of the littles, and afternoon recess supervisor with two others). EXHAUSTING! And, yes, I'm a little embarrassed to be exhausted by that. :oops: But, it's lovely to see all the little kids. They're so cute :)
<<< Don't be embarrassed. I feel exhausted and i'm doing NOTHING! :roll:

>>>School is going swimmingly. I asked DD at portfolio review time, which subjects had been most difficult in the past year? (She had struggled with quite a few concepts as she encountered them, as is normal) She replied "None of them. Once I understand them, then they're easy!" Which really does sum it up quite well :D
<<< So she's on the honor roll! Awesome! :mrgreen:

>>>I'm dealing with everyday frustrations of dealing with the medical profession. Calls that aren't returned for days, medical records that are messed up, that sort of thing. Trying to be forgiving & trust God, yet know when I SHOULD complain because things have gone too far - prayers much appreciated.
<<< I just think there is something very wrong with all of our systems - justice, education, medical... Dealing with those things when you are unwell or HURTING is rather beyond my comprehension. Continued prayers, my friend. How great that schooling is going so "swimmingly"! 8-) Just keep swimming! (Dora song.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:11 pm 

I'm still dealing with my ex. We didn't reach a settlement until after Raquel and I were married. After I got custody of the kids (that is an interesting story), bought a house and got settled in, my ex was awarded another $300,000 in the settlement. Now I am trying to support my family and pay off the settlement while income for the business drops every year. I have some very good competition now, and I can't really keep up. So now I have a second job on the weekends.

With 2 degrees, one in psychology and one in social work, Raquel can make more money delivering newspapers than she can working in her field. She is trying to use her psych background to get clients as a personal coach. So far she has one.

So work schedules are crazy.

The kids are in public school and thriving there. Sadly, my ex and I were not a homeschooling success. Our relationship was just too dysfunctional to raise well adjusted kids.

After 4 divorces, Raquel is determined not to go through that mess again. She is studying everything she can get her hands on on the psychology of relationships. We are learning a lot. It has been quite a ride. With all the crud going on in my life, I couldn't have a better woman by my side.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:51 pm 

Scott Bryce wrote:
I'm still dealing with my ex. We didn't reach a settlement until after Raquel and I were married. After I got custody of the kids (that is an interesting story), bought a house and got settled in, my ex was awarded another $300,000 in the settlement. Now I am trying to support my family and pay off the settlement while income for the business drops every year. I have some very good competition now, and I can't really keep up. So now I have a second job on the weekends.

With 2 degrees, one in psychology and one in social work, Raquel can make more money delivering newspapers than she can working in her field. She is trying to use her psych background to get clients as a personal coach. So far she has one.

So work schedules are crazy.

The kids are in public school and thriving there. Sadly, my ex and I were not a homeschooling success. Our relationship was just too dysfunctional to raise well adjusted kids.

After 4 divorces, Raquel is determined not to go through that mess again. She is studying everything she can get her hands on on the psychology of relationships. We are learning a lot. It has been quite a ride. With all the crud going on in my life, I couldn't have a better woman by my side.

Thanks for that update Scott! It's good to hear from you! :)