It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:09 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Funeral Question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:47 am 

I suppose this is a strange thing not to know at my age, but I've never encountered this situation. (I suspect that some of you may have)

If someone is of NO religion, and dies, how is their funeral conducted? I'm seeing more and more obituaries that list no Church and no clergy. Sometimes they list an "officiant" - sometimes not. If there is an officiant - what does he or she do or say?

I just can't picture a funeral without a clergyman (or even clergywoman), and without a service book or even hymns.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Funeral Question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:05 pm 

The ones i've heard of, the funeral director "directs" the funeral and generally several of the people attending stand (may even go up front) and tell stories about the deceased.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:19 pm 

When my brother passed he was not a religious person at all. My sister, my brother, and I did it in his town with his friends. He wanted to be cremated so we did that then just had a memorial service. My brother was the one that stood up and talked some then let the floor open for others to speak. It actually was a really nice service and was nice to hear others speak so fondly of him. My mom couldn't come as her husband was not doing well so I called her and let her listen to others speak. It was good for her to hear that I think. Other than that, I don't know if I have ever been to a funeral where a preacher didn't speak.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:32 pm 

Thanks to both of you : )

I've heard lots of various eulogies & funeral orations - many given by secular people. So I don't have any trouble picturing that part.

I just can't picture having a funeral without prayers & hymns.

I have the same problem with weddings - tho I've been to a few secular weddings, so at least can picture that.

I appreciate the insights : )