It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: New Nancy Drew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:32 am 

I was pretty excited to see that a Nancy Drew movie is coming out. I called my daughter out from her room to watch the trailer. Now, I'm not so excited.

https://www.dearcreatives.com/nancy-drew-movie/

Just from the trailer: It looks creepy, scary, and criminal, with some possible occult-type content?. Not the kind of thing DD likes or is used to watching. And PG for "suggestive" material? Since when was Nancy Drew "suggestive?" Someone (Nancy's Dad?) tells her, "You've committed several felonies" - and she replies "They're only felonies if you're over 18!" Casual criminality? In the book, Nancy IS 18 - and (as DD observed) also does not have red hair).

And, I see it's produced by Ellen DeGeneres - with whom I wouldn't trust my child.

Why can't they make kids' movies FOR KIDS?

I am SO disappointed in this one!

Post subject: Re: New Nancy Drew
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:59 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I was pretty excited to see that a Nancy Drew movie is coming out. I called my daughter out from her room to watch the trailer. Now, I'm not so excited.

Just from the trailer: It looks creepy, scary, and criminal, with some possible occult-type content?. Not the kind of thing DD likes or is used to watching. And PG for "suggestive" material? Since when was Nancy Drew "suggestive?" Someone (Nancy's Dad?) tells her, "You've committed several felonies" - and she replies "They're only felonies if you're over 18!" Casual criminality? In the book, Nancy IS 18 - and (as DD observed) also does not have red hair).

And, I see it's produced by Ellen DeGeneres - with whom I wouldn't trust my child.

MAN! My puter is acting so weird. BUT, it bro't me to my homepage for once! :)

I am so with you on making kids' movies for kids! The new generation obviously has different ideas of what kids want to watch than what our generation did. It does seem sad.

Stepping back, I can see that there are pendulum swings and factions in every generation. Disney's Snow White and the Wizard of Oz are scary to me and i'm sure I could pick apart many others. ;) The Grimm's fairytales... :shock: KWIM?

I am a Nancy Drew fan. I read a lot of the books and played a lot of the games. I think those elements were always there, except for the "suggestive" content thing. Like Scooby Doo - which is WORSE, actually, imho.

I wonder how much our own experiences color what we let our children watch? We were very strict on anything that felt witchy and i remember when i discovered Smurfs cast spells! That was the last of that! Therefore, i definitely understand how Nancy Drew can be on the hit list for the occultic parts - but in Nancy Drews - like Scooby Doo - they ALWAYS find out it's someone scaring people with tricks.

If your dd isn't even interested, i definitely wouldn't bother! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:34 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

MAN! My puter is acting so weird. BUT, it bro't me to my homepage for once! :)

I am so with you on making kids' movies for kids! The new generation obviously has different ideas of what kids want to watch than what our generation did. It does seem sad.

For sure. They don't seem to realize that THEY are responsible for teaching their kids "what they like." For instance, when I was little, I don't remember ANYONE "loving dinosaurs" - but then they started promoting them, and all the little kids love them now (including ours, when they were in preschool). If we (as parents and a culture) don't teach it, the kids don't demand it.

Stepping back, I can see that there are pendulum swings and factions in every generation. Disney's Snow White and the Wizard of Oz are scary to me and i'm sure I could pick apart many others. ;) The Grimm's fairytales... :shock: KWIM?

Oh - that's for sure! I remember skipping a couple of stories in McGuffey reader for content! One had a chicken pecking out another animal's eyes. The other had a boy burn alive (during a battle onboard ship) because he was being obedient to his father & wouldn't abandon his post. So, you're absolutely right - some of the old stuff was bad, too!

I am a Nancy Drew fan. I read a lot of the books and played a lot of the games. I think those elements were always there, except for the "suggestive" content thing. Like Scooby Doo - which is WORSE, actually, imho.

The suspense element I certainly understand. And thinking there's a ghost when really it's some guy playing a trick. But, I don't remember Nancy committing any felonies (even as a juvenile :roll: ) or any "suggestive" content - ever. I'll allow that my memory for gradeschool reading may be weak ;) but I don't remember it!

I wonder how much our own experiences color what we let our children watch? We were very strict on anything that felt witchy and i remember when i discovered Smurfs cast spells! That was the last of that! Therefore, i definitely understand how Nancy Drew can be on the hit list for the occultic parts - but in Nancy Drews - like Scooby Doo - they ALWAYS find out it's someone scaring people with tricks.

If your dd isn't even interested, i definitely wouldn't bother! ;)

That's no problem ;) I'm not going to pay to force her to see a movie she hates! :lol: I'm definitely too cheap for that :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:23 pm 

>>>That's no problem I'm not going to pay to force her to see a movie she hates! I'm definitely too cheap for that

:lol: :lol: :lol: