It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:08 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: WOW! Material is EXPENSIVE!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 pm 

I just perused JoAnn's again and I am a bit discouraged. I've been through the thrift stores and found ONE pair of capris I could wear. No tops. No jeans. No dresses. No skirts. :( I went to Walmart and then Macy's and tried stuff on. Even new I have a hard time finding things that fit me right. Guess I'm shaped weird or just not right for the "fashions". It doesn't help that I'm sneaking up into the next size. :oops: If I'd've found something that fit GOOD in the larger size I would have bo't it. But, I didn't.

So, now I'm going to continue to keep trying to lose that 5-8 lb that is pushing me into the next size and then look again.

I did buy some flannel that was on *sale* for about $8 a yard. Good grief. Now I'm afraid to use it! I'm thinking I need to buy some cheapo muslin at $2 a yard to make up the pattern and practice my sewing before using good material. sigh

Post subject: Re: WOW! Material is EXPENSIVE!!!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 pm 

I know. I was at Joann's today. I found some cotton material that I loved and it was 9.99 a yard!!
They had a dress pattern that would have done nicely, but the patter was 15.99.. plus I would have needed almost 3 yards of material at 12.99 a yard.
SO.. after adding it all up.. I decided not to take the chance. It would be too much money and then the dress not turn out right (I am not great at sewing!).
Anyway.. come to find out, the cotton was on sale and I found another kind I liked also, so I bought them.
I want to make some simple skirts and just the material alone for 2 skirts was a little over $ 25. with the sale price. :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:38 pm 

Our thrift store sometimes has material for sale as well as finished clothing. If you are a skilled seamstress (I am not) you could also cut down a too large piece of clothing, or find a large piece of material made for some other purpose (think Sound of Music) and remake it.

Personally, I find that it really helps to drop by the thrift store every week or so, because the inventory constantly changes. Sometimes I find NOTHING that works for me - other times I find a whole stack.

I know you're in Eastern WA, Sis, but if you ever have to be in Western WA, Tacoma has some GREAT thrift stores. Maybe you could just hit a new market.

I also have had friends who had good experience buying used clothes off online auction or resale sites.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:42 pm 

Oh yeah - the PATTERNS!!!!! Sheesh! And those are on "daily sales"? Did you know when the current season is over they TRASH those?!!! :o

I want to make a color block dress before it's totally out of style. BUT, I'm thinking of doing the sides in a dark denim and the middle panel maybe a flowered print small corduroy. I have to look more but I am sure going to wait for sales!

I did find some fall flannel I liked. I picked up 1/2 yd to make napkins and practice my sewing and then I realized I'd probably like it as a top! I better go back as it was on sale in the back for $4 a yd.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 pm 

I won't buy anything without trying it on. I'm just built too weird. Or, I should say, the clothes are too odd shaped for me. ;-) I RARELY RARELY find anything at thrift stores. One blouse I found at a Goodwill in St Louis I have worn for 20 years now! : ) I guess I got my money's worth out of that one!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:48 pm 

If you have some old sheets, or find some at yard sales or thrift stores, they are good to practice on too. Skirts are easy to make without a bought pattern. I've come across online several free simple patterns for something like the scrub pants medical folks wear, that have straight cut legs and drawstring or elastic waist. Not exactly fancy to wear out but cute for around the house. I want to sew more if only I can find some time to!

http://scientificseamstress.com/catalog/Adulteasyfitpants.html Here is a link to some similar pants. I've seen a pattern almost like this free online somewhere, just can't remember where!

Last edited by coastal Carol on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:51 pm 

I agree about trying things on. But, if I know size x, brand x, style x works, I've had great luck at finding more of the same identical thing - no trying on required.

I like to have a nice stack of identical, beloved clothing items. Sometimes different colors -sometimes the same color.

I could really relate to a Nun I spoke to once who said she LOVED getting up in the morning and KNOWING what she was going to wear : )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:58 pm 

I have multiples of things I like too, in different colors. My boss is a 50+ woman stuck in her 20's.... The people I work with actually make fun of me to my face because I don't like to spend all my money on clothing and shoes like they do. I am always clean and neatly dressed. I like classic type blouses or plain knit tops and I have a few pairs of slacks in different colors, same style that I wear with the tops. I finally told them I am not there to impress them with my clothes and that I will be wearing these same things so they might as well get over it! I work mostly from home so they don't have to look at me very often anyway. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:07 pm 

I had people offer to buy me clothes just so they didn't have to look at me in the same ol' things! I still have a turquoise suit one woman bo't me (too small now). And I WISH I had the beautiful peach dress another woman bo't me. It was my favorite all time dress. I should've kept it to tear apart and make another one from. There's a girl at church that will give me things she finds at thrift stores that she thinks would be good for me. I've kept some and given some away.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:52 pm 

On the other hand, we had a field trip to a historic village today, and got a really good look at what they USED to have to do to get material to even sew with. $12.99 a yard is expensive to us, but for a lot of people that is 1 to 2 hours wages. They would have considered a 2 hours wages a STEAL for a yard of material! : )

I LOVE modern technology! : )