It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: I'm so disobedient!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:26 pm 

It makes it very hard to create "cause and effect" discipline. I tell myself "no internet until this is done" but i simply disobey myself! I don't follow thru on any reward or punishment for myself. :oops: :?

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: I'm so disobedient!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:57 pm 

Ummmm . . . ."Stop that!" . . . . there. Is that better? :mrgreen:

Maybe if you give yourself smaller rewards, delivered for smaller accomplishments, it might be easier for you to persevere.

I find that works better for me. "when you've spent 10 minutes on this task, you may check your email" rather than "no internet till the room is CLEAN!"

I know everyone talks about the marshmallow test - how you should teach yourself to wait for the reward of two marshmallows rather than the "instant gratification" of one. But, I've managed to motivate myself a lot more effectively with one marshmallow at regular, short intervals rather than teaching myself to wait forever for two! Once you know you're a single-marshmallow sort of person, it's much easier to work with that knowledge ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:05 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Ummmm . . . ."Stop that!" . . . . there. Is that better? :mrgreen:

Maybe if you give yourself smaller rewards, delivered for smaller accomplishments, it might be easier for you to persevere.

I find that works better for me. "when you've spent 10 minutes on this task, you may check your email" rather than "no internet till the room is CLEAN!"

I know everyone talks about the marshmallow test - how you should teach yourself to wait for the reward of two marshmallows rather than the "instant gratification" of one. But, I've managed to motivate myself a lot more effectively with one marshmallow at regular, short intervals rather than teaching myself to wait forever for two! Once you know you're a single-marshmallow sort of person, it's much easier to work with that knowledge ;)

That used to work for me - the one marshmallow at regular intervals. It started back when i was first married and i would hear dh coming home up the gravel driveway! I'd look at the clock like :shock: :o :? :oops: . I didn't know where the day had gone!!! (Reading, soap operas, game shows!) UGH! So, i'd do a task and reward myself with a chapter. But now, when i get the single marshmallow, i don't get back up til the bag's nearly empty! :shock: Where'd the marshmallows go?!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm 

You DO know that I mean *figurative* marshmallows, right? :mrgreen:

'cause ain't nobody can turn down REAL marshmallows! :ugeek: