It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: A serving of fruit and veggies?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 pm 

I am finding conflicting info and it's making me crazy! Some sites say a serving of fruit or veggies are, most commonly, 1 cup. Other websites say a serving is 1/2 cup.

The guidelines say anywhere from 5 to 13 servings a day! Now - 1/2 c servings would be pretty easy to get several servings but 13 cups a day? THAT would get expensive! and time-consuming, and anti-constipating, and THAT'S A LOTTA FOOD!

What's the deal? Did they change it and i missed it?

Post subject: Re: A serving of fruit and veggies?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:11 pm 

Cooked veggies are usually 1/2 cup (say, green beans)
Raw veggies (say lettuce) usually 1 cup
Fruit? often 1 piece - say an apple. Except bananas - they're 1/2 a piece.

Diet/nutritional advice are one of the most unreliable things on the internet (after Religion & politics, of course :roll: )

Serving sizes are really based on things like average calorie counts and grams of this or that macronutrient.

Here's an "official" list
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/eat/fd_exch.htm

I believe that the official measures are set by the American Dietetic Association - and this gov't website uses their numbers - so I trust them more :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:20 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

Diet/nutritional advice are one of the most unreliable things on the internet (after Religion & politics, of course :roll: )

;) how true!

I am lucky to eat a piece of fruit a day (apple or banana usually) and a handful of raisins in my oatmeal. If we eat all that is 'recommended', we would be obese. What's the recommended daily calorie intake? I know I used to consume 800-1000.

Another thing that's artificial (crazy doctor's sliderule) are those measurements like cholesterol. It used to be the low end borderline was 240. Then they changed it. They really do not know. They do not base it on height, weight, or a person's activity level. One flat measurement standard does not fit every human. Then there are liver enzyme levels, lol. In a waiting room once I learned everyone there had been told their liver enzymes were elevated: young, old, thin, hefty.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 pm 

Briva wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

;) how true!

I am lucky to eat a piece of fruit a day (apple or banana usually) and a handful of raisins in my oatmeal. If we eat all that is 'recommended', we would be obese. What's the recommended daily calorie intake? I know I used to consume 800-1000.

Another thing that's artificial (crazy doctor's sliderule) are those measurements like cholesterol. It used to be the low end borderline was 240. Then they changed it. They really do not know. They do not base it on height, weight, or a person's activity level. One flat measurement standard does not fit every human. Then there are liver enzyme levels, lol. In a waiting room once I learned everyone there had been told their liver enzymes were elevated: young, old, thin, hefty.

I've been listening to Dr Mark Hyman and he says doctor's are taught to look for numbers that keep you from illness, basically. They are not the "optimum" numbers for health. But the doctor you are talking about sounds more like a huckster that's wanting to meet his quota on a new med recommendation! Good grief!

Remember when "everyone" had their tonsils out. More recently "everyone" was getting hysterectomies!