It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Trying the Instant Pot!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:20 pm 

Apparently you HAVE been around them. If you own an instant pot, you HAVE one! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:59 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Apparently you HAVE been around them. If you own an instant pot, you HAVE one! :mrgreen:

Well, it was HIDING in the closet!!! My mom bo't it because she watched too much tv!!! I was asking around to see who might want it when that frozen roast made me think of trying it. "PRESSURE" is a pretty scary word imo!!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:22 pm 

Yeah. Pressure cookers scare me. The word "explosion" scares me (and I know lots of old ladies who have had pressure cooker explosions of some sort or another!) :?

I know they're "safe if you use them right" - but so are guns and opium - and I have a healthy respect for THEM! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:45 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Yeah. Pressure cookers scare me. The word "explosion" scares me (and I know lots of old ladies who have had pressure cooker explosions of some sort or another!) :?

I know they're "safe if you use them right" - but so are guns and opium - and I have a healthy respect for THEM! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly!!! :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:22 pm 
Site Owner

I have an electric pressure cooker. It's not an Instant Pot, but similar. I love it! I cook beans, potatoes, and rice in it frequently.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:57 pm 

Martha R. wrote:
I have an electric pressure cooker. It's not an Instant Pot, but similar. I love it! I cook beans, potatoes, and rice in it frequently.

I think if you use it regularly the fear factor lessens but then the familiarity breeds laxness and BOOM! :o But i don't know that i would ever NOT be "scared" of it. I'm anxious to try it a few more times now and pay more attention to the recipe and not just the "getting it cooked" part.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:08 pm 

My mom was a pressure cooker expert. She shared horror stories that happened to friends and family. She never had a mishap. One story about my aunt where somehow the entire contents of the cooker blasted through the steam vent and sprayed the ceiling. I grew up tending to the cooker when my mom worked and feared it like an evil creature, hissing on the stove.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:24 pm 

My grandma also had the food-all-over-the-ceiling thing happen.

I think it's flawed logic to say, "I've done this for years, and nothing ever happened " - kinda like Steve Irwin (the "Crocodile Hunter")- maybe the statistical likelihood just hasn't LANDED on you, yet :?

Being a firm believer in Murphy's law - if it's happened to 1/2 the people who use one for years, it WILL happen to me :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:33 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
My grandma also had the food-all-over-the-ceiling thing happen.

I think it's flawed logic to say, "I've done this for years, and nothing ever happened " - kinda like Steve Irwin (the "Crocodile Hunter")- maybe the statistical likelihood just hasn't LANDED on you, yet :?

Being a firm believer in Murphy's law - if it's happened to 1/2 the people who use one for years, it WILL happen to me :roll:

:? Yup! :?