It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:54 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: DaBella windows
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:57 am 

Got home from work yesterday, had dinner and then listened to a spiel from the DaBella people. Really liked the guys that came. They stayed FOUR HOURS telling about their product. When it came down to it we decided to update 4 windows - the big ones that do not open! After 25 years living here we might finally get some air flow! We are not familiar with this company. They seemed to really know their stuff and it looks super good. They got things arranged so we'd be making low payments. We figure we'll put as little money into it as possible, since we'll be selling soon, and the cost will be absorbed into the selling price.

It was bed time when they left (and THEY had 1.5 hr drive home)! ugh

Post subject: Re: DaBella windows
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:26 am 

Did you already sign?

"Absorbed into selling price" only happens if you sell it for more than you owe. And, remember, that's LESS money you get when you sell. It really means that it comes out of your equity.

We bought some Champion windows a few years ago, and regretted it. They began collecting moisture between the panes, the lock on the door broke VERY soon, and the strips under the door began to curl up. We called about the "warranty" and were told, yes, repairs are "covered" but there was still a $60. fee for having them show up to look at it. (?!)

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't replace a window unless there was enuf breeze coming in thru/around it to make the curtains blow in the wind (as happened with the house of a lady I used to care for)

Check online reviews VERY thoroughly for this company - and remember, often there is a 3-days-to-rescind rule with contracts.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:48 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Did you already sign?

"Absorbed into selling price" only happens if you sell it for more than you owe. And, remember, that's LESS money you get when you sell. It really means that it comes out of your equity.

We bought some Champion windows a few years ago, and regretted it. They began collecting moisture between the panes, the lock on the door broke VERY soon, and the strips under the door began to curl up. We called about the "warranty" and were told, yes, repairs are "covered" but there was still a $60. fee for having them show up to look at it. (?!)

If I had it to do over, I wouldn't replace a window unless there was enuf breeze coming in thru/around it to make the curtains blow in the wind (as happened with the house of a lady I used to care for)

Check online reviews VERY thoroughly for this company - and remember, often there is a 3-days-to-rescind rule with contracts.

Ahhhh, the wonderful thing is, we don't owe! It's free and clear. :)

That's why i'm talking to everybody about this company NOW. We actually have til monday i think because of the weekend. We haven't put any money down or anything and i could walk away from it. We aren't putting in new windows to STOP air flow but to GET some air flow! We only have one small window over the stove that opens in the kitchen and NONE in the livingroom! It's been an issue all these years. Even just for ME for the next year or two, i'd love to have windows that open.

They are supposedly guaranteed against EVERYTHING. And NO cost to have them come out and check them or fix them. Our payments would be less than $70 a month. I had told dh i tho't we could do something under $100 a month.

Ugh. I'm rethinking.

Well, .... i guess i forgot to "submit" this post. Meanwhile, we've decided not to do it. We may not even mess with the windows. Or we might go with someone local. I dunno. We have so many things to think about - and a CAR is still top of my list!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:04 am 

My Mother taught me well. Whenever I hear the word "payments" a feeling of nausea washes over me (even if it's someone else's finances ; )

Glad you're re-thinking it. If you've put up with it for 20 years, what's one more? ; )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:19 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
My Mother taught me well. Whenever I hear the word "payments" a feeling of nausea washes over me (even if it's someone else's finances ; )

Glad you're re-thinking it. If you've put up with it for 20 years, what's one more? ; )

I've said that for so many years. I can put up with a lot. But, the couple of times i finally bit the bullet and did it - tore down drapes or tore up carpet - i kicked myself for not having done so sooner! Living with torn up linoleum was an eye sore but living with no air circulation - summer OR winter - is a discomfort. But it's one i can live with, obviously. sigh

I can agree - i hate being in debt. I should put up a plaque to remind me of that when i'm feeling tempted. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:17 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
My Mother taught me well. Whenever I hear the word "payments" a feeling of nausea washes over me...

Same here.

Did the window guys just show up or did you call them and make an appointment? I do not trust door to door fixer-uppers. I have scared them away in the past by telling them my husband is a sub-contractor (he used to be). Dh goes to a re-store or construction overstock outlet to get windows, doors, etc. We have been able to get quality stuff at scratch and dent lower prices. He installs them.

Are you selling to downsize? Going to move eastcoast?

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:16 pm 

Briva wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:
My Mother taught me well. Whenever I hear the word "payments" a feeling of nausea washes over me...

Same here.

Did the window guys just show up or did you call them and make an appointment? I do not trust door to door fixer-uppers. I have scared them away in the past by telling them my husband is a sub-contractor (he used to be). Dh goes to a re-store or construction overstock outlet to get windows, doors, etc. We have been able to get quality stuff at scratch and dent lower prices. He installs them.

Are you selling to downsize? Going to move eastcoast?

They came door to door with permission from the town. We set up an appointment (for 90 min). They came; they stayed. I've checked up on them and they sound good and legit with a few concerns on customer service but none on the product.

We are downsizing for retirement. Moving north to the kid's property. :)