It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Is it so much to ask?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:00 pm 

So, today was my first day (this year) teaching Sunday School.

We had a story & a coloring page (an Icon)

One of the older boys (10) said, "Mrs. Anna, you probably won't get me to do much coloring this year."

Me: "I don't care if you color! Just listen to the lesson. The coloring is a fun option for those who enjoy it. If you don't want to do it, don't."

Boy, greatly relieved "I wish you were my regular school teacher. We have to do a lot of coloring assignments at school, and I hate coloring. What I really ENJOY is long division!"

They FORCE them to color in middle elementary! I remember that too, from when I was in school (I also hated it). Can't they just cut to the chase & let the kids LEARN something?!

Post subject: Re: Is it so much to ask?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:57 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
So, today was my first day (this year) teaching Sunday School.

We had a story & a coloring page (an Icon)

One of the older boys (10) said, "Mrs. Anna, you probably won't get me to do much coloring this year."

Me: "I don't care if you color! Just listen to the lesson. The coloring is a fun option for those who enjoy it. If you don't want to do it, don't."

Boy, greatly relieved "I wish you were my regular school teacher. We have to do a lot of coloring assignments at school, and I hate coloring. What I really ENJOY is long division!"

They FORCE them to color in middle elementary! I remember that too, from when I was in school (I also hated it). Can't they just cut to the chase & let the kids LEARN something?!

Well, not if they're done before the rest of the class! :D

I enjoyed coloring but i've had students that don't like it. I try to show them "quick" ways to color in a more imaginative way - like making stripes, polka dots, outlining. They don't have to fill the space in completely. I do avoid coloring projects most of the time altho' i have one boy that loves to color and i need to accommodate him sometimes. They also have their choice of mediums like colored pencils, markers or crayons. NONE of the kids like crayons!

Imagine someone LIKING long division! :lol: 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:41 am 

It's really no problem in my class if they don't like coloring : )

I let them do it DURING the story - for those who like it - and the class is short. (about 10-15 minutes). Since Icons are an important part of our worship, I like coloring Icons for theme - one related to the story. We don't really have time to do complicated crafts, like at summer camp.

Now that you mention other options - I may tell them about tracing onto tracing paper ; ) That's a good idea!

Yeah- go figure on the long division thing - the kid's a gem!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:29 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
It's really no problem in my class if they don't like coloring : )

I let them do it DURING the story - for those who like it - and the class is short. (about 10-15 minutes). Since Icons are an important part of our worship, I like coloring Icons for theme - one related to the story. We don't really have time to do complicated crafts, like at summer camp.

Now that you mention other options - I may tell them about tracing onto tracing paper ; ) That's a good idea!

Yeah- go figure on the long division thing - the kid's a gem!

Fifteen minutes?! That's hardly time to do anything!

I think i know what "icons" means but you could explain them and how they are important to worship. :geek:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:00 pm 

Why, yes! I'd be delighted :D

http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2017/03/orthodox-christian-icon-alphabet.html