It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Anybody getting ready for Christmas?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:42 pm 

:D I have been making my own "planner" for next year and when i got to the fall months i fell into the holiday trap. :lol: I love plans and themes! It's very difficult to carry out when the world around me is on a different holiday time zone. :mrgreen:

It started with Rosh HaShanah on Sept 9 which runs into Yom Kippur and is quickly followed by Sukkot - bam! There goes Sept! A bit of reprieve as we gear up for Thanksgiving (which promises to be low key this year?) and then we jump into Advent and Hanukkah which start on the same day this year. 8-) Advent to Christmas Eve which kicks off the 12 days of Christmas which takes us into the New Year!

Now, you know i'm not a proponent of Christmas but it IS the season when *everybody* has to talk about the birth of Christ and, since i am doing the life of Christ (beginning with His physical birth) in sunday school right now, we will use Christmas as a time of connection and review.

Post subject: Re: Anybody getting ready for Christmas?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:37 pm 

No - hadn't really thot of preparing for *Christmas* yet! We JUST had the Dormition! :roll: ;)

There's WAAYYYY to much to do before Christmas!

Sept 9 is the Feast Day of St. Anna :D

Because Sept 8 is the Birthday of the Virgin Mary :D Then the 15th is the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. And November we have Holy Archangels on the 8th, and St. John Chrysostom on the 13th, and the Advent starts on the 15th -and THEN we'll start preparing for Christmas.

(personally, I prefer to overlook Thanksgiving except for the actual giving thanks part - which, ideally, happens more than once a year. It's just a personal quirk - not a dogmatic issue)

My goodness - how can you skip ahead like that? Like those department stores that have Halloween pumpkins and Christmas trees next to the swim suits in July!

OTOH - I really don't DO much to "prepare" for Christmas except for doing Advent and buying a few things for DD & putting up our tiny Creche & tree - a 5-minute job. I might bake a few cookies or send a few cards if the mood strikes me - but I don't go all out - at all - for the superficial celebrations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
No - hadn't really thot of preparing for *Christmas* yet! We JUST had the Dormition! :roll: ;)

There's WAAYYYY to much to do before Christmas!

Sept 9 is the Feast Day of St. Anna :D

Because Sept 8 is the Birthday of the Virgin Mary :D Then the 15th is the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. And November we have Holy Archangels on the 8th, and St. John Chrysostom on the 13th, and the Advent starts on the 15th -and THEN we'll start preparing for Christmas.

(personally, I prefer to overlook Thanksgiving except for the actual giving thanks part - which, ideally, happens more than once a year. It's just a personal quirk - not a dogmatic issue)

My goodness - how can you skip ahead like that? Like those department stores that have Halloween pumpkins and Christmas trees next to the swim suits in July!

OTOH - I really don't DO much to "prepare" for Christmas except for doing Advent and buying a few things for DD & putting up our tiny Creche & tree - a 5-minute job. I might bake a few cookies or send a few cards if the mood strikes me - but I don't go all out - at all - for the superficial celebrations.

I don't DO much for any of it either! :lol: I just like the planning. The biggest thing i do is practice Christmas music (which i really need to start this soon to do a good job by Christmas! :? ) and change the decor on my mantel. :mrgreen:

I try to look for advent devotionals or Hanukkah devotionals or cutesy little tokens of a season for the mantel, or maybe on the piano. I also leave things up way too long. LOL Oh, and twinkle lights! I love twinkle lights! I think September is a good time to start with those! I like orange and purple and red twinkle lights for fall. During Hanukkah i like to put up new lights every evening! By the end of December and up to Valentine's day my kids say people probably think i belong to a cult. :shock: I do red, white and purple lights in feb and take the other colors down. Green for March. You see? Just kind of a theme-for-the month color scheme - if i get a round tuit.

I might put some fruit and wheat around for the fall holidays - a cornucopia or something. I like the story of the Pilgrims and my mom had some cute Pilgrim candles i still remember - if i came across some i'd get them - or better yet, s and p shaker. :mrgreen:

No. I don't have all these things and i shouldn't buy them now! Trying to pare down!

I like flat things - window clings are a fave. I put some rub-on pics on the kitchen window years ago (like 10 years) that i still enjoy! Clings are great tho' cuz you can take them on and off and even cut them up and still use them. And they're cheap and store easily.

This REALLY makes my house sound tacky!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:58 am 

Wow - that's a lot, Sis. I'm tired just reading it. :geek:

(I'd hate to see the list for "a lot") :?

DD does pretty much all the decorating that gets done here. Of course, as we discovered, she's the only one in the house with color perception - so that's probably a good thing!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Wow - that's a lot, Sis. I'm tired just reading it. :geek:

(I'd hate to see the list for "a lot") :?

DD does pretty much all the decorating that gets done here. Of course, as we discovered, she's the only one in the house with color perception - so that's probably a good thing!

Lol Well, it's all in my head. What actually gets accomplished is always much less. I'm hoping as we pare down that it will be easier to do more of it. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:07 pm 

Speaking of Christmas - I feel like I got a present today!

Audio Bibles in English are readily available, but I was having trouble finding one in Greek (that was done right, and not on youtube - where you might have to listen to chunks that were too huge)

Today, DD found this for me (it was on the page we were studying - but I hadn't noticed the audio!) - if you click on the upper right speaker image - you get BEAUTIFUL Native Speaker audio! Made my whole day :D

https://www.bible.com/bible/209/MRK.11.BYZ04

Feel like I should put a red bow on my screen :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:22 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Speaking of Christmas - I feel like I got a present today!

Audio Bibles in English are readily available, but I was having trouble finding one in Greek (that was done right, and not on youtube - where you might have to listen to chunks that were too huge)

Today, DD found this for me (it was on the page we were studying - but I hadn't noticed the audio!) - if you click on the upper right speaker image - you get BEAUTIFUL Native Speaker audio! Made my whole day :D

https://www.bible.com/bible/209/MRK.11.BYZ04

Feel like I should put a red bow on my screen :D

That is wonderful!!!! :D 8-) :mrgreen: