It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Food deserts
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 pm 

Living in TX started getting frustrating when the only grocery stores are this big annoying chain called HEB and wallymart. They are in competition in who can outsell each other on common items. They were both eliminating products from their shelves.

There are two big chains here aside from wallymart, plus a piggly-wiggly and a natural foods chain store where I buy veg on sale. I have been finding stuff I had thought the manufacturers had discountinued. It's so nice to have variety again.

Where my sister lives they just opened up a large Hispanic grocery like those farther south. I will have to go down soon and bring my 5-day cooler to stock up. I did bring back large spice containers with things I have been buying in tiny jars. My son goes through spices like crazy. They have beans in 3# bags not the 12oz ones I find here (when I can find them). I cried in their oversized veg dept, everything you can think of and fresh, and cheap. There have been times I go to the stores here and they are out of stock. Even the meat dept coolers have been bare because the shipment had not made it yet. When I see something I use, I will buy several because it will be weeks before I see it again.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Food deserts
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:47 am 

Competition is very good for grocery consumers : )

In Ohio we had much better produce prices than here - even tho there is lots of local farming, and other prices are often lower. I finally figured out it's because there's no Aldi - which would encourage Walmart & Kroger to make their prices competitive!