It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:47 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8679
I've mentioned it before but i am continually surprised by the amount of younger Christians i see that have no concept of holiness. I KNOW they were taught it in their churches because i know the churches most of them went to. I'm talking about Christians in their 30's mainly, going into early 40's. I'm not around younger ones much.

The shows thy watch, the language they use, the anger they display, th lack of respect for husbands almost always and their parents, the "freedom" they have with marijuana, alcohol, ... funny, i don't think any of them smoke cigarettes?.... but there is nothing in their lives that would make me think they were Christians UNTIL we talk about the Lord! They have all the right words and beliefs that make me think they do know the Lord but just don't allow Him to reign in their lives.

Oops - company dropped by!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7824
I don't know that there's anything *new* about that phenomenon. It's simple (although perhaps unwitting) hypocricy.

The sad thing is, given that these are young people, that although perhaps they were "told" -maybe they were never *taught* -by example & practice. I fear that the responsibility might be partly ours (as a generation).

Lord have Mercy on us all!

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8679
Anna1111 wrote:
I don't know that there's anything *new* about that phenomenon. It's simple (although perhaps unwitting) hypocricy.

The sad thing is, given that these are young people, that although perhaps they were "told" -maybe they were never *taught* -by example & practice. I fear that the responsibility might be partly ours (as a generation).

Lord have Mercy on us all!


A few of these young people are my OWN kids and kids in our church. :( I KNOW they were shown by example. None of the adults, that i am aware of, are like that! I think maybe that's why i feel so shocked. I have this feeling that maybe everyone else, behind my back, talks and acts like this and i am the goody-two-shoes that is oblivious. :(

Dh and i were eating out tonight and he asked me about the waitress's lipstick. I never did remember to "look" at the application of her lipstick while i was talking to her. I am pretty oblivious and unobservant most of the time. He couldn't believe i didn't notice that she "missed her lip line"! :lol: We were also talking about another situation and he asked me, "Well, is it true?" and i said i didn't know cuz i had never LOOKED!

I'm not out to scrutinize and find fault. This stuff is IN MY FACE! I am always thankful to hear them talk of the hope of the resurrection and such but my spirit is grieved by the casual cussing and such.

What more could we do? And yes, Lord, have mercy on us ALL! It's certainly NOT that i am better or more righteous than they are. I've been reading thru the scriptures about David and he's the same way! :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7824
I'm horribly unobservant, too! I mean horribly.

If they're your OWN kids (or kids you're close to) you might be able to broach the subject with them sometime. Remember Eli : (

Our culture is very corrupting nowadays - including our Christian culture. I saw a rather dreadful "Christian" article yesterday that said a Mother was abusive because (amongst other reasons) she homeschooled and would not let her daughter attend dances. Remember when EVERYBODY thought (modern) dancing was a sin?

It seems like no one talks about Judgment, Hell, Holiness or Obedience to God any more. They've taken "Salvation is by Faith" to mean "Go ahead and sin and think that God is still going to approve" (whereas the Bible says "even the demons believe. . . ")

Actually, it's the ancient heresy of Gnosticism in disguise - but no one knows what gnosticism is anymore, either!

It's a sad situation we're in as a culture.

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8679
Anna1111 wrote:
I'm horribly unobservant, too! I mean horribly.

If they're your OWN kids (or kids you're close to) you might be able to broach the subject with them sometime. Remember Eli : (

Our culture is very corrupting nowadays - including our Christian culture. I saw a rather dreadful "Christian" article yesterday that said a Mother was abusive because (amongst other reasons) she homeschooled and would not let her daughter attend dances. Remember when EVERYBODY thought (modern) dancing was a sin?

It seems like no one talks about Judgment, Hell, Holiness or Obedience to God any more. They've taken "Salvation is by Faith" to mean "Go ahead and sin and think that God is still going to approve" (whereas the Bible says "even the demons believe. . . ")

Actually, it's the ancient heresy of Gnosticism in disguise - but no one knows what gnosticism is anymore, either!

It's a sad situation we're in as a culture.




And yet. I may be over-reacting to the news snippets i've read here and there but... what is going on?! From "free to do the unspeakable" to "don't you dare clap at graduation"!? Mixed signals are everywhere and my head is spinning. It's ok to smoke weed (here in WA anyway) but drinking a 20 oz soda is not?

So, when i hear these Christians casually cussing - my mind whirs. I know they also help the needy and are the first ones to step up when there is something to be done. While their mouths run away with them their actions bring them back home.

Is it "out of the mouth speaks the heart" or is it "action speaks louder than words"?

What is your definition of Gnosticism?

Uhm.... i think i was going to say more but i can't remember what it was! ugh


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:14 pm
Posts: 7824
A definition goes like this:

noun
noun: Gnosticism

a prominent heretical movement of the 2nd-century Christian Church, partly of pre-Christian origin. Gnostic doctrine taught that the world was created and ruled by a lesser divinity, the demiurge, and that Christ was an emissary of the remote supreme divine being, esoteric knowledge (gnosis) of whom enabled the redemption of the human spirit.


The Gnostic heresy was the idea that there were two competing planes of existence - God's and Satan's. God created the Soul and spiritual realm, but Satan created the physical world (including, according to some, the body). What you did in the "Spiritual Realm" praying, going to Church - had nothing to do with what was done in the "Physical Realm" (Partying, and things that I'd rather not mention online - or at the other extreme, Fasting - some gnostics thought you should mistreat the body since it was so evil!). And visa-versa. First John was written to refute this heresy.

A lot of folks nowadays think they can "be saved" without that ever affecting their deeds, and they can live a life in service to the Evil One without that ever affecting their salvation. It's a very ancient heresy.

_________________
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Frustrated with today's Christians!
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm
Posts: 8679
Anna1111 wrote:
A definition goes like this:

noun
noun: Gnosticism

a prominent heretical movement of the 2nd-century Christian Church, partly of pre-Christian origin. Gnostic doctrine taught that the world was created and ruled by a lesser divinity, the demiurge, and that Christ was an emissary of the remote supreme divine being, esoteric knowledge (gnosis) of whom enabled the redemption of the human spirit.


The Gnostic heresy was the idea that there were two competing planes of existence - God's and Satan's. God created the Soul and spiritual realm, but Satan created the physical world (including, according to some, the body). What you did in the "Spiritual Realm" praying, going to Church - had nothing to do with what was done in the "Physical Realm" (Partying, and things that I'd rather not mention online - or at the other extreme, Fasting - some gnostics thought you should mistreat the body since it was so evil!). And visa-versa. First John was written to refute this heresy.

A lot of folks nowadays think they can "be saved" without that ever affecting their deeds, and they can live a life in service to the Evil One without that ever affecting their salvation. It's a very ancient heresy.


I've heard of Gnosticism but it's been awhile. Thanks for the understandable explanation. :mrgreen: :ugeek:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Theme designed by stylerbb.net © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]