It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Spanish - or any foreign language.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:29 am 

I am trying to immerse myself in Spanish right now. I do some Duolingo every day (i really like that program but it is spelling intensive in both English and Spanish!) I'm doing Powerglide jr. I listen to Spanish in the car - either the NT or a program that is very practical and good - Household Spanish.) I have a list of "most used words" i'm working on learning. I sometimes change the movies/shows i'm watching to Spanish. I have the ACE (Learning for Tomorrow?) Spanish program i work on occasionally. Plus a couple of other bi-lingual books i read out of. I go to Spanish restaurants. :mrgreen:

I feel like it's working. It hasn't been long enuf to tell for sure but i think it is. If i can just stick to it for awhile.

Have you taught (or learned) a foreign language well enuf for practical use? What did you find most helpful?

Post subject: Re: Spanish - or any foreign language.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:59 am 

"Well enuf for practical use" is a rather subjective standard! We're on the "broken Greek" level, and pretty proud of ourselves for getting up to *that* level! :mrgreen:

But, I think you've got the right idea.

To me, the two most effective methods are:

1. Faithfulness - work on it EVERY (school) day!

2. Variety - use a lot of different programs rather than just one. No one program teaches a language program teaches a language exhaustively, IMHO.

Having said that, the most helpful speaking program we've tried is Pimsleur - it really helps a lot, and we find ourselves progressing better than with other programs - but it's very expensive and DD hates doing it. I don't hate it, I find it quite helpful. Many libraries have it in Spanish, and in any case, Spanish will probably be cheaper than Greek because there's a bigger market : )

Post subject: Re: Spanish - or any foreign language.
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:31 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
"Well enuf for practical use" is a rather subjective standard! We're on the "broken Greek" level, and pretty proud of ourselves for getting up to *that* level! :mrgreen:

But, I think you've got the right idea.

To me, the two most effective methods are:

1. Faithfulness - work on it EVERY (school) day!

2. Variety - use a lot of different programs rather than just one. No one program teaches a language program teaches a language exhaustively, IMHO.

Having said that, the most helpful speaking program we've tried is Pimsleur - it really helps a lot, and we find ourselves progressing better than with other programs - but it's very expensive and DD hates doing it. I don't hate it, I find it quite helpful. Many libraries have it in Spanish, and in any case, Spanish will probably be cheaper than Greek because there's a bigger market : )

I have Pimsleur but have loaned it to dil for now. I have Rosetta Stone, too! I have Speedy Spanish - which i love for its Christian base. That's a good point and i think you're right. I was "afraid" to do different programs at the same time but i think it has been good.

I think the Household Spanish is closest to Pimsleur but the Duolingo gives me the best repetitive practice.