It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Interesting concepts about how you think. Do you agree?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:29 pm 

4. Average people think the road to riches is paved with formal education. Rich people believe in acquiring specific knowledge. ... Meanwhile, the masses are convinced that master's degrees and doctorates are the way to wealth, mostly because they are trapped in the linear line of thought that holds them back from higher levels of consciousness.

15. Average people would rather be entertained than educated. Rich people would rather be educated than entertained.

Post subject: Re: Interesting concepts about how you think. Do you agree?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:22 pm 
Site Owner

The road to super-rich is paved with an amazing idea couple with incredible drive. Take Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Oprah Winfrey as examples.

Yes, I think the average person has been programmed by public school to be spoon-fed info (rather than to work to find it), have a boring job, and come home worn out to veg in front of the TV. I don't know if rich people are any different since I really don't know any. LOL

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:27 am 

Well, I know a lot of smart, poor people who would rather be educated than entertained. And, a fair number of people with good incomes who aren't into education-as-a-hobby at all (I don't mean the super-rich, but upper-middle-class) They enjoy vegging out as much as the next person.

I agree with the Virgin Mary, that wealth and poverty are generally in God's hand (too often we assign credit and blame where it doesn't belong)
Luke 1
52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted the lowly.
53 He has filled the hungry with good things,
And the rich He has sent away empty.

I remember reading an interview with a famous TV personality who called herself a Christian. She was asked about her wealth and said something like "*I* work hard for my money, 12 hours a day. I have a right to enjoy it" And I thought "So do a lot of fast-food employees"

Often, money (or lack thereof) is not a result of hard work or education, but simply where God in His wisdom puts us in life- this week. It can change next week!

I believe in training young people for a trade, so they can "work with their hands" as the Apostle Paul taught. (1 Thess 4:11). That can be either an academic or physical trade, IMO, but does not include a get-rich-quick, or even be-rich mentality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 pm 

Mostly--I think the concept of personal wealth has less to do with actual $$$$ and more to do with attitudes. If you spend less than you make, you are wealthy! But then, that means most people could be wealthy if they make the right choices.

Media in the USA tells us we need to have: big houses, fancy cars, cable TV, lots of electronics. But really what we NEED is food clothing and shelter.

I also agree that God puts us where we need to be, either for our own growth, or to witness to those around us. We are to be salt and light. Wherever we happen to be.

Our personal family income--what IRS sees--is not much, very often at or below what the USA government considers poverty. Yet I have never once felt we were poor. We have plenty of high quality food, we have a good house to live in, always enough clothing even if it came from goodwill. We enjoy outdoor activities, rad books and magazines and newspapers. Really, I don't find the amount of cash in my bank account has very much to do with my lifestyle. And my greatest riches--living next door to my granddkids!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 pm 

I like my kid's definition of poor. According to them, we're far from poor! The other day dd asked "Have we ever been poor?" I said "What do you mean?" She said, "Have we ever not had food or clothes or blankets?" Ds said, "Of course we've never been poor! We've always had all those things and more!" When I asked dd what poor people have, she said "Nothing!" So, yep, we're not poor!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 pm 

Amen, Lisa! All you need is one short trip to anywhere in the third world, to make you realize that you're incredibly blessed, materially speaking.