It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Anybody know of Akiane Kramarik?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:54 pm 

She has absolutely AMAZING artistry skills and she's also a poet. I've been watching interviews with her. She was homeschooled and now has an incredible art business. Listening to her is fascinating, to me. Such passion and, well, actually OBSESSION with drawing, and her "spiritual connection" is very interesting to me. Like savants, i'm intrigued by them all!

Post subject: Re: Anybody know of Akiane Kramarik?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 pm 

Something rings strange about the whole business. Sorry to be skeptical, but . . . .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:58 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Something rings strange about the whole business. Sorry to be skeptical, but . . . .

Strange in what way?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:12 pm 

It doesn't *feel* right.

First, anything Oprah endorses religiously tends to be New Age rather than Christian. And Oprah's face is the first thing I see on her site. Some of the pictures give off a creepy new age vibe rather than a Christian one (although, granted, they're very well done & beautiful in their own way) Second - I don't believe that the girl did the art herself - I think she's being used by her parents for fame & money. A quick google reveals that her mother has a similar artistic style. I have the impression that they are at the same time secretive & publicity hungry - which makes me suspicious of a scam. The pictures "she drew" at 4 seem entirely implausible. (I've seen enuf 4 year olds struggle to hold a crayon right . . . ). ANYBODY who claims direct revelation from God sends off my "warning flag" until I've examined further - and when they're making a profit off it and seeking fame, even more so.

I'm not saying it *is* fishy - I'm just saying that for now it doesn't pass my *sniff test* :|

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:42 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
It doesn't *feel* right.

First, anything Oprah endorses religiously tends to be New Age rather than Christian. And Oprah's face is the first thing I see on her site. Some of the pictures give off a creepy new age vibe rather than a Christian one (although, granted, they're very well done & beautiful in their own way) Second - I don't believe that the girl did the art herself - I think she's being used by her parents for fame & money. A quick google reveals that her mother has a similar artistic style. I have the impression that they are at the same time secretive & publicity hungry - which makes me suspicious of a scam. The pictures "she drew" at 4 seem entirely implausible. (I've seen enuf 4 year olds struggle to hold a crayon right . . . ). ANYBODY who claims direct revelation from God sends off my "warning flag" until I've examined further - and when they're making a profit off it and seeking fame, even more so.

I'm not saying it *is* fishy - I'm just saying that for now it doesn't pass my *sniff test* :|

Well, i totally agree about Oprah! :mrgreen: I've not found anything about her mom being artsy at all.

While i am a skeptic and i don't know if Akiane is what she is portrayed to be, the art work is beautiful and thought-provoking, imo.

Sure, typical 4yo can't draw like that but i've also seen 4yo that can play instruments or do crazy advanced math that "4 yo's can't do". Right? There are enuf videos of her painting and drawing that you can see SHE has the talent.

*I* wonder if her comments aren't sometimes, or often, edited to sound more "spiritual". Or perhaps, because she's been so fawned over she's become affected - but it looks like she had her soft "affected" way at a very early age.

She was in public school for a time. It would be interesting to hear her teacher's perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:52 pm 

I see pictures online of her taking a brush or pencil over a piece of art - but if you look closely, there are frequent stops, and poor lighting - - I noticed a few tricks - her painting the background. - light reflecting off the work so that you could see the pencil move but not if it was putting down any color. - and her tracing over already-drawn lines. One online discuss-er described it as "practically stop-motion animation" - which seems to me to describe it well.

I'm not at all persuaded that she is the artist even now - and even less so that she was at age 8 or at age 4. And, yes, there ARE a few child prodigies - like Mozart - but there are a bunch MORE ambitious, greedy parents than there are true prodigies. (were covering ratios in math - i'd say it's well over 100:1 ;) )

And, you only have to hang around a crowd of Moms for a few minutes to see that over-inflating your kid's brilliance (whether in math, art or sports) is practically a national sport :roll:

I call it the Mommy-Olympics ;)

And if there's money in it? Oh.My.Goodness. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:13 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I see pictures online of her taking a brush or pencil over a piece of art - but if you look closely, there are frequent stops, and poor lighting - - I noticed a few tricks - her painting the background. - light reflecting off the work so that you could see the pencil move but not if it was putting down any color. - and her tracing over already-drawn lines. One online discuss-er described it as "practically stop-motion animation" - which seems to me to describe it well.

I'm not at all persuaded that she is the artist even now - and even less so that she was at age 8 or at age 4. And, yes, there ARE a few child prodigies - like Mozart - but there are a bunch MORE ambitious, greedy parents than there are true prodigies. (were covering ratios in math - i'd say it's well over 100:1 ;) )

And, you only have to hang around a crowd of Moms for a few minutes to see that over-inflating your kid's brilliance (whether in math, art or sports) is practically a national sport :roll:

Well, you could be right. I am interested in the art work itself, tho'. Whether she did it or her mom or someone else, some of those pieces are so realistic and beautiful and others make me wonder - as in thinking of bigger things.

Her plan is to have a school that encourages art work of all kinds - she even mentioned cooking! She's a pianist and poet as well and knows "four languages". Since her mom is Lithuanian and she's from here, those two languages hardly count as accomplishments. ;) There is definitely money in this - some of her paintings sell for millions!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:26 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

Well, you could be right. I am interested in the art work itself, tho'. Whether she did it or her mom or someone else, some of those pieces are so realistic and beautiful and others make me wonder - as in thinking of bigger things.

Her plan is to have a school that encourages art work of all kinds - she even mentioned cooking! She's a pianist and poet as well and knows "four languages". Since her mom is Lithuanian and she's from here, those two languages hardly count as accomplishments. ;) There is definitely money in this - some of her paintings sell for millions!

She's so "dramatic". She's directed her own "life stories" with the help of a lot of her family members. I don't like the affectation she uses - reminds me of Katherine Kuhlman! LOL Or, to be fair, more like Anne of Green Gables.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:01 pm 

And, I could be wrong. It's a gut feeling more than anything.

Although her pictures are beautiful, some of them I found religiously disturbing in some way that I cannot put my finger on. (not like motivate-you-to-repentance disturbing) Sort of like the "beautiful" pictures in the magazines that the Watchtower gives away.

I'm totally with you on the affectation thing.

As for the 4 languages claim, that's something I put less stock in the older I get. I know lots of people who "know Greek" until they meet a Greek toddler and cannot hold a basic conversation about "This ball is red" and "I need to go to the potty."

I think of the curriculum author who claims she "learned Latin at 10" - when I know people who work on a language for 20 years and never say (in the past tense) that they "learned" it. Technically if you can say "Then milao Ellinika" - you're "speaking" a second language. Even tho you just said "I don't speak Greek" ;)

I'm not saying you're wrong - or that she's a fake - But it was St. Thomas Sunday last week, and in his honor, I'm not yet convinced :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
And, I could be wrong. It's a gut feeling more than anything.

Although her pictures are beautiful, some of them I found religiously disturbing in some way that I cannot put my finger on. (not like motivate-you-to-repentance disturbing) Sort of like the "beautiful" pictures in the magazines that the Watchtower gives away.

I'm totally with you on the affectation thing.

As for the 4 languages claim, that's something I put less stock in the older I get. I know lots of people who "know Greek" until they meet a Greek toddler and cannot hold a basic conversation about "This ball is red" and "I need to go to the potty."

I think of the curriculum author who claims she "learned Latin at 10" - when I know people who work on a language for 20 years and never say (in the past tense) that they "learned" it. Technically if you can say "Then milao Ellinika" - you're "speaking" a second language. Even tho you just said "I don't speak Greek" ;)

I'm not saying you're wrong - or that she's a fake - But it was St. Thomas Sunday last week, and in his honor, I'm not yet convinced :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cute.

Right, or if someone can say hello and goodbye then they "speak" that language. Who knows.

I agree also about some of the disturbing elements like the buildings in "heaven". I was thinking Mormon but yeah, it could be reminiscent of Witness literature, too.

OTOH, there IS a artistic license that is generally allowed. ;)