It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Kind of a down day.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 pm 

I've plodded thru getting a few things done but that energetic frenzy has let me down. Maybe i slept too much! LOL Eight hours last night.

BUT, as i sat in my room :mrgreen: and contemplated, trying to pray, i started thinking about the Sabbath. I've tried to observe the Sabbath many times but usually give in to the schedule and activities of others in the house. NOW, i think i can manage to make it a regular thing! Dh is onboard with it, when he remembers.

I spent the afternoon writing out things about the Sabbath that would make it special and restful and wonder-full. Nice way to spend the day! 8-)

Anna, i was going to use your challah recipe but i don't have potato flakes (i don't think). I didn't remember using them last time?

Post subject: Re: Kind of a down day.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:32 pm 

I think I've always used potato flakes in my vegan Challah. If you prefer non-vegan, but easy one, I'd try this dough & make challah from it : )

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2008/09/24/brioche-dough-recipe-and-all-of-its-wonderful-uses/#more-357

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:19 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I think I've always used potato flakes in my vegan Challah. If you prefer non-vegan, but easy one, I'd try this dough & make challah from it : )

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2008/09/24/brioche-dough-recipe-and-all-of-its-wonderful-uses/#more-357

Well, i made yours before and loved it but just didn't remember using potato flakes in it. :mrgreen: But, back then, i HAD potato flakes around and wouldn't really think about it. I'll be going to town tomorrow and picking some up. But, i'll probably also pick up challah bread!!! :lol: I'll plan on making it next week.

Dh is going on a men's something or other this weekend and i will be home absolutely alone!!! It's almost scary! And so exciting!!!!!

That link took me to a video about a class in making artisan bread, i think? (Well, i don't know what happened but when i closed it out there was a recipe for a broche bread.) No, i liked yours and loved how easy i was. I'll just pick up the potato flakes. :) They NEVER go bad, right? LOL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:26 pm 

Thanks so much - glad you like MY recipe (I do, too ; )

Do you think you can HANDLE a weekend alone? I mean I know you've been dreaming of one forever, but, it seem so unlike YOU to really DO it! ; )

Yeah, I think potato flakes last forever. Kinda like Twinkies, which I have actually SEEN in a petrified state :geek:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:51 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

Do you think you can HANDLE a weekend alone? I mean I know you've been dreaming of one forever, but, it seem so unlike YOU to really DO it! ; )

Yeah, I think potato flakes last forever. Kinda like Twinkies, which I have actually SEEN in a petrified state :geek:

I am SO ready to give it a shot!!! LOL I mean the weekend alone. ;) I wonder who will show up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The funeral director's wife assured me she will add pink sparkles to mom's ashes. She's going to take a pic to prove it. 8-) Mom would love it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

So, tapioca starch vs cornstarch?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:26 am 

I *always* use tapioca starch - but then I always have it on hand. Cornstarch can be an emergency sub if you don't have/can't get tapioca. But I think the tapioca is a tad preferable.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:30 am 

Is this tapioca starch like a flour or little balls like for pudding?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:51 am 

It looks almost identical to cornstarch. I usually buy mine from the Asian grocery - it's about 99cents. At the supermarket, sometimes you can find it by Bob's Red Mill or some other healthfood company- but then the price goes way up.
If you can't find it, cornstarch works okay : )

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:47 pm 

Do you just like the taste better or is there another reason you use it? I found some at the co-op but they were also just putting their fresh baked challah out so i just bo't a loaf! So pretty and yummy smelling! I hope to make some for next week. :)