It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: >8/ Amtrak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:25 pm 

Amtrak has changed so that you have to change your home page to their search engine. At least that's what happened when i tried to find a route! :evil: I'm just lucky to have had another tab open to get back here.

I don't know how else i can find a train route.

Post subject: Re: >8/ Amtrak
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:33 pm 

Sadly, that's not the only thing wrong with Amtrak.

They tend to have stops in dangerous neighborhoods at 3 AM- and don't have routes that go where you need to go!

They wake you up at every stop - even when you put the above your seat like they tell you - that tells them EXACTLY which stop to wake you for.

Their bathrooms are yucky.

And, last time we rode, there was a fist fight in the aisle right next to us with no intervention from crew - so I haven't wanted to take DD on. Did I mention that they have NO security?

And they ask why I don't want the government running my health care. They can't even handle train travel : (

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:45 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

They tend to have stops in dangerous neighborhoods at 3 AM- and don't have routes that go where you need to go!

They wake you up at every stop - even when you put the above your seat like they tell you - that tells them EXACTLY which stop to wake you for.

And, last time we rode, there was a fist fight in the aisle right next to us with no intervention from crew - so I haven't wanted to take DD on. Did I mention that they have NO security?

And they ask why I don't want the government running my health care. They can't even handle train travel : (

I've not had trouble on any trips altho' i do wake up when they are waking others to get off. Our station is a little scary and the only stop is about 1:30 am. I do wish that was different. I generally get a sleeping car ($$$) on that first long leg and nobody bothers you in your little space. :mrgreen: But i so agree with you about the government running things!!!

IS Amtrak a government run train? It does lack routes to where i want to go - except by bus. sigh

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:32 pm 

Sis, glad to see you back. You rested? Have a blessed time?

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:52 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I've not had trouble on any trips altho' i do wake up when they are waking others to get off. Our station is a little scary and the only stop is about 1:30 am. I do wish that was different. I generally get a sleeping car ($$$) on that first long leg and nobody bothers you in your little space. :mrgreen: But i so agree with you about the government running things!!!

IS Amtrak a government run train? It does lack routes to where i want to go - except by bus. sigh

A SLEEPING CAR?! :shock: Wow.

We ride with the great unwashed masses. ;)

Amtrak started as a gov't run system. If they've been privatized, I don't know about it. You sure can't tell from the service ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:52 pm 

Briva wrote:
Sis, glad to see you back. You rested? Have a blessed time?

Rested? No. Have a blessed time? YES! :) Great trip! The weather worsened where we left from but the rest of the way was beautiful. The GPS guided us around a closed highway where there was a 16 car accident without a problem. I'm so thankful dil was driving the whole time!

Got to see all my kids and half my grandkids! My just-turned-21 dgd just signed the lease on her own place (with a good friend/roommate) and we got to see it.

If the weather was a touch less chilly or windy we could've walked to "the beach" around Puget Sound from where we stayed.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:38 pm 
Site Owner

Oh my! I'm about to take a group of students to D.C. on Amtrak. Now I'm worried!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:49 pm 

You'll probably be okay with a group of teens, Martha : ) There's strength in numbers.

One of our boys takes Amtrak whenever he can, and enjoys it. Bring a few things like clorox wipes, hand sanitizer & your own t.p. just in case the bathrooms are intolerable.

It's not a luxury experience, but I'd take it over, say, camping out any day ; ) It's still better than greyhound : )