It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Do you owe someone money?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:42 pm 

Behind on a payment?

Working in a bank i see so many money management issues. Right now, with Christmas fast approaching, people are taking out money hand over fist. Of course we see the checks they write (and bounce) and they are most often to eateries.

Many people feel obligated to get expensive tablets or gaming systems or other things their kids want. Then the daycare worker comes in with a check to cash from someone that's just bounced a check at the tavern (our local eatery).

Living in such a small town we get to know both sides. The business people are struggling because so many skip on payments for services rendered. The alternative is to make people pay "up front" and most small town businesses do not like operating that way.

Just some "Christmas" tho'ts. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Do you owe someone money?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:09 pm 

Yes - I was just discussing this with DD as we were shopping today. She saw a family putting a huge gift in their car (and perhaps was a little jealous?) I told her that many of the poor feel obligated to have a HUGE Christmas that is not within their means. Then, a few weeks later, end up, sadly, pawning their children's new toys for groceries : (

Post subject: Re: Do you owe someone money?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:24 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Yes - I was just discussing this with DD as we were shopping today. She saw a family putting a huge gift in their car (and perhaps was a little jealous?) I told her that many of the poor feel obligated to have a HUGE Christmas that is not within their means. Then, a few weeks later, end up, sadly, pawning their children's new toys for groceries : (

So sad. :( And a terrible thing to teach your kids.

If you owe others money, you are stealing from them when you pay other non-obligatory money out. When we were young with a young family, others would give us $ to buy gifts for the kids. It would usually end up going on food and/or outstanding bills. Of course that made those that gave us $ upset. So many expectations at Christmas (and birthdays). I hate expectations. :P