It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:44 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Bill Nye the Science Guy...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:06 am 

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/bi ... -tech.html

It's not like I expected him to back creationists but I find this a bit scary.

Post subject: Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:50 am 

Good to know. The nice thing about homeschooling is that people who are promoting their own political & atheistic agenda can be excluded from my classroom.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:26 pm 

We stopped watching him years ago when he talked about millions of years ago and what not. Thankfully my ds was smarter than that but if you can't trust that, I don't know if you can trust the rest of his science.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:34 pm 

I was reading a thread on a different group I'm part of regarding this topic. It gets me wondering and I'm going to throw a question out there. I really am interested to hear views either way...

What would be an issue if the earth was millions of years old versus thousands? What is the real issue between old and young earth theories that has even Christians battling things out? Is this totally and evolution vs. creation issue or is there more to it?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:48 pm 

Well, the Bible says in the beginning, the earth was without form & void (not that it didn't exist) - so the earth itself might be quite old without any conflict with the literal words of Scripture.

I am a Creationist, but other Christians are Theistic Evolutionists (they believe that God created the earth, but used some methods described by evolutionary folks to do it).

I have no problem with the right of other Christians believing in Theistic Evolution, but when I choose a teaching item, I want to know exactly what it is teaching - I don't want evolution snuck in, or the speaker/writer to assume that theirs is the *only possible* scientific view. And, personally, I prefer not to teach any sort of evolution in my "classes."

I am very offended by Athistic Evolutionists who pretend that anyone religious must be an idiot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:00 pm 

I believe the main "big" issue is that if the earth is older than Adam and Even then there was death before sin.

The other thing is, if you can't believe what the Bible says about creation/beginnings, then you can choose other things not to believe.

Last edited by Sis on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:01 pm 

No - rocks don't die. The rocks could have been around for millions of years. The animals on the other hand, yes, that's one of the big issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 pm 

Days 1, 2 and 3 were all created before the sun and moon were put in place, therefore the time frame of those days could be different than the 24 hour period that we are familiar with, that came about with the cycle of the rotation of these. Could that not explain an age difference without death before Adam and Eve? I am totally a Creationist, so no confusion of Who created, and How He created, but the how long His day was is where I have questions perhaps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:54 pm 

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Space-Bib ... 2C+genesis

Francis Schaeffer discusses these questions very nicely in his book - with a high view of Scripture.

One can take ever word of the Biblical Creation narrative quite seriously and very literally, and still have some of the questions Pam is asking.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Days 1, 2 and 3 were all created before the sun and moon were put in place, therefore the time frame of those days could be different than the 24 hour period that we are familiar with, that came about with the cycle of the rotation of these. Could that not explain an age difference without death before Adam and Eve? I am totally a Creationist, so no confusion of Who created, and How He created, but the how long His day was is where I have questions perhaps.

This has been on my mind for many, many, years.