It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Reading list recommendations?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:19 am 

Good Morning!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm wanting some input. DD is an avid & voracious reader. She's plowing thru series. She likes/has liked:

Little House
Narnia
E.B.White
Roald Dahl
American Girl
Boxcar Children
My America
Dear America
Nancy Drew (younger series like the notebooks)
Trixie Belden
The Bobsey Twins (sp)
Gilbert Morris Kids' series
Sugar Creek Gang

And I'm probably forgetting some.

My question is this:
What's next? Are we missing some GREAT find at THIS level?

I still usually choose most of her reading or point her the direction of reading she'll enjoy.

But, Young Adult books look to be mostly morally bankrupt.

I'm looking for some in the "next" age range (just above the books listed) that will teach positive values and have a good Christian influence. (even if not explicitly Christian - at least presenting a positive portrayal of Christianity)

Are there good authors/series out there that you'd recommend as beneficial reading (not just "harmless," but actually helpful). Not book that are crass or glamourize imm0ral1ty or expose her to general rottenness, but GOOD books?

Any help is much appreciated! :D

Post subject: Re: Reading list recommendations?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:58 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Good Morning!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm wanting some input. DD is an avid & voracious reader. She's plowing thru series. She likes/has liked:

Little House
Narnia
E.B.White
Roald Dahl
American Girl
Boxcar Children
My America
Dear America
Nancy Drew (younger series like the notebooks)
Trixie Belden
The Bobsey Twins (sp)
Gilbert Morris Kids' series
Sugar Creek Gang

And I'm probably forgetting some.

My question is this:
What's next? Are we missing some GREAT find at THIS level?

I still usually choose most of her reading or point her the direction of reading she'll enjoy.

But, Young Adult books look to be mostly morally bankrupt.

I'm looking for some in the "next" age range (just above the books listed) that will teach positive values and have a good Christian influence. (even if not explicitly Christian - at least presenting a positive portrayal of Christianity)

Are there good authors/series out there that you'd recommend as beneficial reading (not just "harmless," but actually helpful). Not book that are crass or glamourize imm0ral1ty or expose her to general rottenness, but GOOD books?

Any help is much appreciated! :D

I found some of Louisa May Alcott's books to be great at that level. Old Fashioned Girl was a favorite with my girls. Eight Cousins, Rose in Bloom, Little Women, Under the Lilacs. I don't specifically remember the story lines except Little Women and Old Fashioned Girl. There's the Homeschool Detective series that's kinda fun altho' not written in the best literary style. ;) The Spirit Flyer series may be good, too - according to reviews - also by Bibee.

I didn't know Gilbert Morris had a kid's series! :)

I'm not terribly familiar with the Magic Treehouse series but the few i've read have been good. I'd want to read them first, tho'. Books like Secret Garden and Little Princess are so good BUT they have that little element of "magic" in them that almost made me toss them. :?

I don't mind some magical elements, especially far-fetched things like flying carpets or the "magic" school bus and such, but i had a tendency towards "magic" that nearly got me into real trouble - so i try to be careful. Remind me if you know of any in the books mentioned.

Last edited by Sis on Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:01 pm 

Thanks SO much Sis, I'll have to check those out! :D

ETA - Sorry - I meant to hit full editor & hit transmit instead :oops:

I do NOT trust Mary Pope Osborne's "magic" element (tho I DO trust CS Lewis'!)

the last book we got by Osborne (a My America book) had a little girl visiting a fortune teller - then addressing her prayers of repentance to the fortune teller for months afterwards - instead of to God! :shock:

Yeah, no - she's not my favorite. We have read one or two Magic Treehouse books - but I avoid them. I like Adventures in Odyssey Imagination Station MUCH better :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:30 pm 

Anne of Green Gables. Dd read the first two then lost interest as Anne grew up. She quite enjoyed Robinson Crusoe at 10-11. How old is your dd? Click here for literature booklists.

http://amblesideonline.org/New.shtml

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:22 pm 

Im not sure of her age, but I enjoyed "The wheel on the School". Some of the Great illustrated classics series, and a book called The Weather works.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:34 pm 

Thank you : )

The Wheel on the School looks fascinating - I'll have to see if the library has it : ) And I'll have to check into The Weather Works.

And, the Ambleside list (I hadn't thot of it, since I don't use their whole program and hadn't looked at it in years) looks like it has some lovely food for thot!

We love the Illustrated Classics series already - but it's a good reminder to be on the lookout for more : ) DD liked their Anne of Green Gables version, but the unabridged one doesn't resonate with her just now.

I really appreciate all your help! : )

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:48 am 

I'll have more but those were the first to come to mind. What age or reading level?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:43 am 

Anna1111 wrote:

The Wheel on the School looks fascinating - I'll have to see if the library has it : ) And I'll have to check into The Weather Works.

And, the Ambleside list (I hadn't thot of it, since I don't use their whole program and hadn't looked at it in years) looks like it has some lovely food for thot!

We love the Illustrated Classics series already - but it's a good reminder to be on the lookout for more : ) DD liked their Anne of Green Gables version, but the unabridged one doesn't resonate with her just now.

That's the important thing. Just because it's "boring" or uninteresting at one age doesn't mean you won't LOVE it later! :) A book i read in jr hi has stuck with me all my life - The Family Nobody Wanted. GREAT book!

I also got into philosophy when i was 12-13! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:36 am 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

That's the important thing. Just because it's "boring" or uninteresting at one age doesn't mean you won't LOVE it later! :) A book i read in jr hi has stuck with me all my life - The Family Nobody Wanted. GREAT book!

I also got into philosophy when i was 12-13! :mrgreen:

That's what I'm looking for - that title (or series) that really resonated with others and they STILL remember reading (or their kids reading)

And you're right about the effect of time. I was NOT into the Little House books at the "right age" (despite good reading skills - I just wasn't into it) but read them MUCH later and loved them.

And, yes, Philosophy or some other nonfiction topic can be a real draw - but not
age-dependent : ) I had weird interests like that, too :mrgreen:

Which is why I'm reticent to throw age into the mix. What one 5 or 10 year old loves might not be right for another at the same age.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:47 am 

I'm making a list (and checking it twice ;) ) to look for y'all's recommendations! They look REALLY good when I look them up on Amazon! :D