It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: It's not always what you think
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 pm 

Today, took DD to the park as a reward for a week well done. Met a grandma there with two dgc. She mentioned she had been a public school teacher for 24 years. As we discussed daycare, etc, I told her that I homeschooled - expecting a little skepticism. Guess what she said? "I wish that option had been available when my kids we're young - I would have wanted to do it"

So often, we assume that people from certain walks of life will have certain attitudes - but not always so : )

Post subject: Re: It's not always what you think
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:04 pm 

That is so great!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:26 pm 

I've had that happen, too. Met a lady at the pool with her kids and homeschooling came up and she said she homeschools, too. Then she said "I used to be a teacher in a public school and I could never do that to my kids!" Lol! I met another lady at the pool, who is a teacher and doesn't homeschool, but she seemed fine when I mentioned that I homeschool. Some of the women in my Sunday school class teach or used to be teachers and they don't have a problem with it either, at least they don't seem to. One of them has said that their daughter homeschools.

OTOH, have you ever had someone seem accepting of your decision, but you still felt like you were being quizzed by them? We went to the pool this morning and there was a guy there and he asked ds "You don't have school?" or something like that and ds said he's homeschooled. Then he asked a few questions like "Are you just taking a break, like recess?" and if we take field trips and stuff like that. He was friendly, but I just felt a little uncomfortable. I think this was the same man that we met before with his wife and they had mentioned that their daughter was thinking about homeschooling and they asked a few questions about it. I think they are just curious and probably a little skeptical because they're not used to the concept. But I just feel weird answering questions of non-homeschoolers, like I'm being quizzed. What if I had said "Oh, we don't do school on Fridays." (which we do, but it still would have been funny to say that). He probably would have had a heart attack!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:10 pm 

Sometimes those who seem like they're quizzing you are actually curious because they want info for doing it/helping their dc do it themselves. They seem hostile, but they're really just *interested*

My Mom was a public school teacher, and not at all hostile to homeschooling. Even back-in-the-day she decided to send us to Christian instead of public school for several years.

Lots of times Public school teachers KNOW what public schools are like!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 pm 

My dh's parents were so against us homeschooling. Then one day years after we began, lo and behold, a dear friend of their's dd started homeschooling her dc and suddenly it was ok to do! lol!
It's funny how people are. Beings no one in their "circle" home schooled, we were freaks and an embarrassment, but once one of their friends said it was ok. then it was socially OK!!

And yes they used to quiz my dc. ugh. But only when we were not around, never in front of us. SO it was sneaky. However, strangers asking; I'ved learned that most of the time they really are just curious and probably know someone that home schools and they can't/dont' want to/ ask them the same questions they are asking us. It seems safer to ask the questions they've been wondering about to a stranger for some reason.