It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Personality & Homeschooling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 pm 

Just curious, here.

I've noticed on here that SEVERAL people mention being introverted and/or having social anxiety to various degrees.

I've noticed the same thing on various other online venues & amongst friends.

Do you think that Homeschooling & introversion "go" together in some way? Do y'all know any/many *extroverted* homeschoolers?

Post subject: Re: Personality & Homeschooling
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:36 pm 

Yes, we knew lots of extroverted homeschoolers. We joined one group for park days, they also went out for fieldtrips like visiting a dairy and the museum. Dds also did a homeschool karate class and one participated in a drama club at a local arts theatre. Some moms mingled, some kept close to their kids. I only ever had 1-2 with me not a trainload, so I mingled with other moms of 1-2.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:38 pm 

What Briva said.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 pm 

Well, the Moms I know ALL mingle and socialize & go to parks & on outings (not talking the dreadful "socialization" question here) but I don't know ANY who self-describe as extroverts.

Even the ones that seem super-social to me tell me that they think of themselves as introverts.

Do y'all know lots of homeschoolers who think of themselves as extroverts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:30 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, the Moms I know ALL mingle and socialize & go to parks & on outings (not talking the dreadful "socialization" question here) but I don't know ANY who self-describe as extroverts.

Even the ones that seem super-social to me tell me that they think of themselves as introverts.

Do y'all know lots of homeschoolers who think of themselves as extroverts?

I'm an introvert. I did NOT going on outings unless coerced. I can be very social but i NEED alone time. Being social DRAINS me until i am sitting there crying on the inside, screaming that i just need to get away. It's not because i don't like the people or anything. It feels more like inner exhaustion.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:28 am 

Yes : )

I cannot think of a single homeschooler (Mom- not kid) who hasn't told me that or something like it when the question comes up. (including the folks on this site : )

I'm wondering if you've discussed this with other homeschoolers IRL who are truly self-described extroverts.

One of our MOST social homeschool Moms here regularly shares how introverted she is/feels - and than and a couple of conversations here made me wonder.