It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:48 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Guns
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:52 pm 

I heard that the shooter "may have" been using automatic rifles. While i'm all for responsible people owning guns i don't understand why anybody needs n automatic or rapid fire gun. What do you use the for?

Post subject: Re: Guns
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 pm 

It's from the 2nd Amendment - the idea of a "well regulated militia."

The reason the Constitution allows private citizens to be armed is for the national defense - both against a despotic government (King George III in their case) or an invading army.

If the invading army had machine guns, and we had muskets or bayonettes, we would be toast.

Think of the historical situations you know of - lets look at the Warsaw Ghetto for example - being provided with adequate *effective* weaponry can make all the difference in the world.

If a person wishes to commit mass murder, he or she does not NEED a gun to do it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

or, for that matter, Sept 11 attacks happened without guns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm 

I realize we have the "right" to own them but what are they for beyond killing people? (I guess you could almost say that about any gun but we DO use guns for other purposes like hunting and protection against animals AND people.)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:03 pm 

Well, as a vegetarian, I'd have to say that the *main* purpose of a gun is, sadly, killing people.

That's what "a well regulated militia" refers to.

If we are invaded, or, heaven forbid, are taken over by a despotic government (like, say, the gov't of N. Korea, or Hitler, or Stalin) - then that is what self defense would mean.

As a Christian, it is entirely possible that *I* would choose not to use deadly force in self defense (I can't speculate on how much courage to remain peaceful in such a setting), but the Constitution ALLOWS self defense for those who choose that route.

And, if I needed to defend the innocent against vicious aggressors (say, like those who sent children to the gas chambers) I cannot rule out force in such a situation as a Christian.

Thankfully, I've never been put in a situation in which I had to resolve these moral dilemmas.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Well, as a vegetarian, I'd have to say that the *main* purpose of a gun is, sadly, killing people.

That's what "a well regulated militia" refers to.

If we are invaded, or, heaven forbid, are taken over by a despotic government (like, say, the gov't of N. Korea, or Hitler, or Stalin) - then that is what self defense would mean.

As a Christian, it is entirely possible that *I* would choose not to use deadly force in self defense (I can't speculate on how much courage to remain peaceful in such a setting), but the Constitution ALLOWS self defense for those who choose that route.

And, if I needed to defend the innocent against vicious aggressors (say, like those who sent children to the gas chambers) I cannot rule out force in such a situation as a Christian.

Thankfully, I've never been put in a situation in which I had to resolve these moral dilemmas.

Girlfriend! That's not what i'm talkin' about. I don't think. :? Is there any OTHER reason to own such a gun?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:19 pm 

Well, I suppose if you're the sort to cut down your Christmas tree with a gun, such a model might come in handy ;)

Or if you're a collector - possibly.

But, generally speaking, I think such guns are only for wars. They're not a "sportsman's" or hunter's sort of tool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:22 pm 

[quote="Anna1111"]Well, I suppose if you're the sort to cut down your Christmas tree with a gun, such a model might come in handy ;)
quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Too true!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 am 

Just to put things in perspective: Fully automatic guns are very difficult to obtain. There are a limited number of them on the market. They are highly regulated in every state. The cost a LOT of money. So someone can't just go to the local guns store and load up on automatic weapons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:39 am 

Scott Bryce wrote:
Just to put things in perspective: Fully automatic guns are very difficult to obtain. There are a limited number of them on the market. They are highly regulated in every state. The cost a LOT of money. So someone can't just go to the local guns store and load up on automatic weapons.

Good to know! I wonder how long it took him to obtain all those guns. And did he have that in mind for their use the whole time? Very disturbing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am 

Sis wrote:

Girlfriend! That's not what i'm talkin' about. I don't think. :? Is there any OTHER reason to own such a gun?

Having lived out in a rural area for over a decade, ratt!esnakes, wild boars, pack of dogs...

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26