It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:20 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Florida School Ditches Common Core
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 am 

http://yournewswire.com/florida-school-common-core/

Post subject: Re: Florida School Ditches Common Core
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 am 

Great article, Stacy, thanks for sharing : )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:35 am 

StacyinTN wrote:
http://yournewswire.com/florida-school-common-core/

I don't think Common Core is the problem. From what i've seen (all at the elementary level), it works and isn't really all that different from how some of my teachers taught in the 60's. I think the problem is the implementation and all the stupid testing! The system puts teachers on edge and "teaching to the test" is never a good way to learn.

Whatever, the problem i have is that they don't let the teachers decide how to teach. I think the educational decisions need to remain at the state level, or even regional.

The problem stated in the article - 530 – 270 - *IS* easier to do the common core way. Even *I* can subtract 300 from 560 in my head. It's just mental math. I always tho't there should be more of this taught, even before they called it common core. Maybe it just appeals to certain types of thinkers/learners?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:36 pm 

THE problem with common core is that it forces everyone to teach the same way to all children.

The adding 30 method IS great for subtraction - but it's not wrong if it's done the traditional way, but this student was marked wrong for getting a right answer, the traditional way. And that's happening a lot in common core.

And mandating sight reading is a multi decade train wreck. They just need to stop it. I know SO Many people who have acquired dyslexia or are bad spellers because they were taught by this failed method - but the fed. gov't keeps forcing it on people.

It's true - not everything about common core is bad - I even LIKE some of its methods - but the things I dislike, I REALLY dislike. :geek:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:20 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
THE problem with common core is that it forces everyone to teach the same way to all children.

The adding 30 method IS great for subtraction - but it's not wrong if it's done the traditional way, but this student was marked wrong for getting a right answer, the traditional way. And that's happening a lot in common core.

And mandating sight reading is a multi decade train wreck. They just need to stop it. I know SO Many people who have acquired dyslexia or are bad spellers because they were taught by this failed method - but the fed. gov't keeps forcing it on people.

It's true - not everything about common core is bad - I even LIKE some of its methods - but the things I dislike, I REALLY dislike. :geek:

Great points