It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Modern decorating
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 pm 

I just don't understand the modern decorating trend. It seems so impersonal, so boring. Everyone is making their homes look like something out of a magazine. We recently visited someone's house and, not to be rude, but all of the decorations were just generic stuff like you find at Target. But that is what everyone is doing! It's funny because they have almost a whole wall filled up with the big letters spelling, "Home". Dd commented to me later, "Yeah, we know it's your home!" It was exactly my thoughts. I just feel bad for artists these days. Putting their heart and souls into beautiful, original and interesting artwork, that actually means something. Meanwhile, everyone is wasting money on factory made, boring, unartistic, uncreative, meaningless letters. Words like "Home", "Family", "Love", "Peace", etc. I just don't get it. It's just words, where is the art?

My biggest pet peeve are the Eiffel Towers everywhere. Pictures and little statues on mantels. I could understand if you took a trip to Paris, and were decorating with souvenirs you bought there. But you can just walk into Target and buy these, they're meaningless junk. I just don't get it.

I've never been big into fashion, though, so maybe it's just me? People probably think my walls are hideous. We have paintings, family portraits, and framed artwork that the kids did, on the walls. That's normal, to me. One wall is a large painting of the ocean that belonged to my grandparents. Another is a painting that my grandpa did, and some paintings of local forests and streams in the area, that my parents have had forever, and were painted by local artists. Aren't these more interesting to look at, than generic manufactured letters? Why do so many people think that is fashionable or interesting?

I wonder what the next trend will be. :? Maybe people will return to art someday, and my walls will be fashionable?

Post subject: Re: Modern decorating
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:23 pm 

Don't worry, Lisa, you'll never be "fashionable"! ;)

"Fashionable" means conforming to groupthink, instead of thinking for yourself. Its a phobia of uniqueness.

If you chose something because you like it & it's meaningful to you - you're in no danger.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 am 

I agree with Anna! :) I haven't gotten around to finishing the painting in the livingroom so my only real "done" room is my bedroom. In it i have a rather common pic from the 80's, i think. It still goes with my decor and i still like it so it stays. Then we have a framed pic of a t-shirt with "The Last Champion" on it (from the movie i'm in!) 8-) and a framed poster of a band dh was in. Oh, there's a quilt square of a cross between those. In "my" corner i have "A Girl with a Watering Can" by Renoir which i like a lot and kept from some homeschool curriculum about art appreciation. And then my favorite painter - a winter pic of kids making a snowman. The mat covers the name of the painter and i always forget his name, but i found it in a second hand/antique store in a small town near here. :mrgreen: Each one means something, except maybe the first one that was more "fashionable" at the time. :lol:

I have kids art in other places - treadmill bulletin board, fridge, bathroom cork board. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:01 pm 

Your house sounds like my house, Lisa. I have my parent's painting of a California coastal scene I grew up staring at, plus two similar ones they collected over the years. I like pretty things. My walls have oil paintings, watercolors, and prints I have bought and sketches I have made myself, pictures of the kids, shadow boxes with mementos, religious stuff like a pair of praying hands ceramic plaque, angels everywhere, the Lord's Supper, a wall of crosses. Right now in the kitchen we have posted menus of local restaurants and a city map.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:35 pm 

I like the idea of having the local restaurant menus on the kitchen wall! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:21 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Don't worry, Lisa, you'll never be "fashionable"! ;)

"Fashionable" means conforming to groupthink, instead of thinking for yourself. Its a phobia of uniqueness.

If you chose something because you like it & it's meaningful to you - you're in no danger.

Nope, I could never be accused of groupthink. Thinking for yourself does get a little lonely, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:29 am 

Sis and Briva, your houses sound normal, to me! I forgot, I also have two pictures in my kitchen that mean so much to me. One is a woman praying and the other is a man praying. My grandparents had them hung in their dining room and the praying people look so much like my grandparents, that I used to think it WAS them, when I was little. I don't care if people think they're "old fashioned".

I know not everyone has things handed down to them, that have sentimental value. But I still wonder what happened to paintings. You know, art. That just doesn't seem in style anymore with younger people and I don't get it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 am 

Maybe people aren't into "paintings" so much any more because they don't sell them at Walmart. ;) Or ... what are those other stores like IKEA? Pier One? I haven't been in them in years so i don't know what they have. People seem to put up pics of family and then "sayings", as far as i've seen. Hmmm. Now i'll have to take note! LOL