It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:51 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Northern heat wave, southern cold fronts (?)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:15 am 

Weird weather indeed. In the summer I always dreaded the tempests headed into Texas from the East. Waves of showers that came up from the gulf and triggered thunderstorms.

Now in Florida, we are not getting Eastern generated weather. Last week, we got a cold front when the jetstream bent down to deposit what eventually turned into tropical something Emily. (I meant to say 'something', it happened so fast never really knew what it was.) Our weather boy didn't give us warning. So that formed overnight and hit Tampa-Ft. Myers area.

So in Florida we are getting northern lows and the Pacific Northwest is getting a heatwave. Looks like Al Gore was right.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

Post subject: Re: Northern heat wave, southern cold fronts (?)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 am 

Well, my Mom always said that there was ALWAYS an "August Cool Spell" - I think it just came a week or two earlier than usual. She said that forgetful people would declare, "Well, I guess summer is over & fall is on the way!" only to have summer return shortly.

She taught a unit on weather in her science class every year, and was very into this stuff.

Not to slight the theories of Mr. Gore, or anything ; )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 am 

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/tropical-storm-emily-florida-heavy-rain-forecast

"This all started with a cold front that dropped south into the northern Gulf of Mexico during the weekend of July 29-30, then stalled out.

You don't typically see cold fronts penetrate that far south this deep in the summer. The end of July is typically hazy, hot and humid in the southeast U.S., not featuring strangely comfortable air masses plunging from Canada into the Deep South."

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:40 am 

Oh, we definitely noticed it! and it IS unusual.

We were in the steamer all week at Church camp, then all of the sudden, needed a sweater in the AM : ) (I get cold when it drops below 78, so when I say I needed a sweater, it doesn't mean everyone else does : )

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 am 

We have had the coolest summer so far. Usually our electric bills for may , june and july are around 300 dollars and barely 200 each month. I am not complaining.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:00 am 

The only way I can tell we're having a cold front, is when I walk outside and manage to make it to my car without dripping in sweat. I guess that's the difference between 95 and 105.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:02 am 

LindaS wrote:
We have had the coolest summer so far. Usually our electric bills for may , june and july are around 300 dollars and barely 200 each month. I am not complaining.

Mine is $340 this month, up $100 from last month. :(

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:03 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
The only way I can tell we're having a cold front, is when I walk outside and manage to make it to my car without dripping in sweat. I guess that's the difference between 95 and 105.

EVERY DEGREE MATTERS!!!!! Where i work the thermostat is set at 73 (which is warm for me). If we turn it to 72 the other girls freeze!!!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:36 am 

Sis wrote:
LisaTX wrote:

EVERY DEGREE MATTERS!!!!! Where i work the thermostat is set at 73 (which is warm for me). If we turn it to 72 the other girls freeze!!!!! :roll:

We've always kept it at 76, but yesterday I raised it to 78, after googling how to save on the electric bill and they say to keep it at 78 or above.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:00 pm 

I was comfortable with setting it on 85 and turning all the ceiling fans on. Just before dh would get home from work I would lower it to 78. I was raised in SoFLa with no AC. My elem and middle school did not have AC, either. We had windows. Inside AC'd buildings I am always freezing. Especially at church, I always bring a sweater. I hate being cold. I would rather deal with the heat.