It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Homeschool Music Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:09 am 

Hello everyone,
Just a quick question (or rant as it may be). I grew up with a love for playing music. From an early age up to now. Went to college on a music performance scholarship. Taught piano lessons as well as guitar for years. Now we've jump into homeschool. Specifically a homeschool cover school that has (or had) a decent music program. It's not anything that would rival a large high school symphonic band, but it has potential. My problem is that I can't get the band director here to give me the time of day. I've reached out to him a few times and would like to get involved as much as I can. I mean we are invested in teaching our children as homeschooled. Music is not any different. I'm just kind of aggravated and looking for suggestions. I don't want to go above his head and talk to the home school director only to have him possibly mad at me or my kid for the rest of the year. Part of me wants to just start a homeschool music program separate and offer it to other families just to avoid dealing with them. Frustrated in GA.

Post subject: Re: Homeschool Music Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:35 am 

Homeschool director? That should be the parent, who knows what's best for their child. I sent my musically interested kids to music tutors. We found a network of college music majors who traveled to your home to give lessons. Eventually our son's saxophone teacher gave us a discount if we met him at the campus practice studios.

I heartily agree with your idea to offer your music talents separately. Network with other parents and other homeschool groups. Good luck.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:17 pm 

While teaching music at home is the first step, in order to participate in a band or orchestra one would need to include several others (unless you have a large family).

Is it possible that there's a community band/orchestra in which your student/s could participate? It seems they are usually thrilled to have young well-taught members in their group.

The same would go for drama and sports. Some schools are loathe to include homeschoolers and some welcome them warmly.

As to your question, if you try 3x to get the band director to speak with you then i think you have every right to respectfully go to the home school director with your ideas. I don't see how it could cause any more of a problem between the band director and yourself than there is now.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:36 pm 

There are one ore two other homeschool bands/orchestras in the Atlanta Metro area. They just cost an arm and a leg. Sadly as a one income family those are out of our reach. The director is over the homeschool umbrella school in which the band program is located.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 pm 

Musicdad wrote:
There are one ore two other homeschool bands/orchestras in the Atlanta Metro area. They just cost an arm and a leg. Sadly as a one income family those are out of our reach. The director is over the homeschool umbrella school in which the band program is located.

What about a community band, tho'?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:11 am 

Money is either an issue or it's for college age and older.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:10 am 

Musicdad wrote:
Money is either an issue or it's for college age and older.

Well then, it seems, if the music director doesn't come around and an audience with the homeschool director doesn't yield results, you should strike out on your own if you feel so inclined! :)

I don't really see why money needs to be an issue in the homeschool community but we are so small here that i may not have the perspective of a larger "homeschool" group.