It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Burrito/magic pillow.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:04 pm 

SO! I bo't my material for 2 burrito pillows. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7yrDQ7G9so I didn't dare look longer cuz i kept seeing beautiful and fun materials!!! Everything i saw was around $3.50 a yard which i tho't was really good! My pillow is extra fluffy so regular pillowcases don't fit it well. I bo't material for 2-3" longer. I'll wash it up when i get home from church so it will be ready to use. Dh is gone today so, who knows?!, maybe i'll take a crack at it today!

Post subject: Re: Burrito/magic pillow.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:36 pm 

I tried to skim a couple of youtube videos (including the one you linked - MYYYY she's chatty!)

But, I don't get the point. Isn't it just a regular pillow case with a pretty border? What's "magic" about it? :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:35 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I tried to skim a couple of youtube videos (including the one you linked - MYYYY she's chatty!)

But, I don't get the point. Isn't it just a regular pillow case with a pretty border? What's "magic" about it? :?

The "magic" is that it has no raw seams. :mrgreen: You layer the 3 pieces together, roll the main piece up so the next longest piece wraps around, sew the 3 pieces together, then you pull out the main piece (like starting a skein of yarn), sew again right sides out, then wrong sides out - somehow you end up with a French seam so there are no raw seams.

I'm hoping it's easier to do than to explain!!! :lol: Unfortunately, i washed my material like i tho't you're ALWAYS supposed to do, and the 2" strips tangled around everything. Ugh. The strips may be ruined but the rest is ok. sigh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:38 pm 

Of course, you could just FINISH your seams, and save all the extra layers, thereby saving a boatload of money :ugeek:

(this is why no one ever wants me to do anything "artistic" or "decorative, btw :mrgreen: )

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:24 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Of course, you could just FINISH your seams, and save all the extra layers, thereby saving a boatload of money :ugeek:

(this is why no one ever wants me to do anything "artistic" or "decorative, btw :mrgreen: )

:roll: The "decorative" parts are 2" and 9" so cost just under $2. And SO worth it. :P

Now, *I* feel that way about gardens. People tell me how they "live off their garden" and "save so much money". Yeah, right. I don't see it. They aren't growing rice or quinoa, very few grow potatoes or corn or green beans. Mostly what i see and hear about is zucchini, pumpkin, tomatoes, peppers and maybe some berries. And i believe when all is said and done, it's cheaper (and WAY less work) to buy things at the store.

And i probably would've bo't a pillowcase if i'd found one to fit. Then i *could* have made a simple plain one to fit, but that is not my style. I have to complicate EVERYTHING. You know that, right? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:15 pm 

We (my mom and I) make these all the time for gifts! It's so easy and they can be customized to suit any decor. My mom will sometimes put a name on them for the children.

My adult cousins in FL. Always get mom sew them for their kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:39 am 

Tory wrote:
We (my mom and I) make these all the time for gifts! It's so easy and they can be customized to suit any decor. My mom will sometimes put a name on them for the children.

My adult cousins in FL. Always get mom sew them for their kids.

That's what i'm thinking. I want to make a couple so when dgd is here this summer i can let her make one. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:34 pm 

Well, sis, if *I* can do it... ... any one can.

My mom showed me how to make them, then I bought material, went home, and made dd one for Christmas in less than an hour.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:28 pm 

I make these too! I like that you can easily customize the size/shape you want, and also accommodate a pattern on the fabric itself by how you center it and line up the envelope fold. My pattern called them envelop pillow covers. I also made some small tube shaped ones for using while riding.