It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Hey everybody! Wake up!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 am 

:mrgreen: Ignore all those weird posts and tell me what you're up to this weekend? Camping? Six Flags? BBQ?

We are having a bbq at our church this evening. I need to figure out what i'm taking, make my shopping list out and get to town. Oh, better eat first or i'll buy the store out!

Post subject: Re: Hey everybody! Wake up!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 am 

Hey - whadaya mean "wake up?!"

YOU're on the left coast! WE've been up for a while now! :mrgreen:

In our house this AM,
1) I'm drinking coffee
2) DD is sewing
3) We just finished a great Mother-Daughter read aloud, "Before You Meet Prince Charming" by Sarah Mally. I highly recommend it.
4) We're listening to the Seeds Family on Youtube. I highly recommend them, too!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:43 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

In our house this AM,
1) I'm drinking coffee
2) DD is sewing
3) We just finished a great Mother-Daughter read aloud, "Before You Meet Prince Charming" by Sarah Mally. I highly recommend it.
4) We're listening to the Seeds Family on Youtube. I highly recommend them, too!

The "left" coast, eh? Does that mean you are on the "right" coast?! Humph.

Dh and i went out to breakfast - alone. :) We played a game of cribbage, something we do regularly when we're out to eat.

It sounds like "Before You Meet Prince Charming" is along the line of "Beautiful Girlhood"? I could not get passed the tone of that book. I'd like to have it on hand for my 11 yo dgd's. Maybe we could do it as a read aloud but i do have my "fears" that they'd scoff at the language. Or they could be enchanted by it. :)

Sewing? *I* want to sew! I think i'm going to try a burrito (or magic) pillow. :) What is your dd sewing?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:46 pm 

I don't know "Beautiful Girlhood" but from the Amazon reviews, I'd say the two books are quite different.

Before You Meet Prince Charming is half allegory (like a fairy tale) and half discussion/conversation starters. It is very charming and DD looked forward to the next installment each time we read it.

I appreciated that it didn't have the flaws I've found in EVERY OTHER book I've ever read on the subject of courtship/dating/choosing a spouse. Every other book I've ever read had one of two flaws 1) the others were too graphic for young girls - this one is entirely wholesome if the reader is innocent 2)the others considered young men to be naturally immoral and young women to be naturally moral while dating ("watch out for those bad boys! they only want one thing! and YOU are sweet and virtuous and only want love! Don't trust them!" sort of tone) only to say that those same "bad boys" should become head of the family after marriage. Like they somehow magically changed on the wedding day, despite being slime while dating :roll:

This book was a delightful read - and focused on the importance of Godliness & character in the young man - and the importance of young women building their own relationship with God before marriage - or even if single for life.

I thought it was a book in its own category - well worth a look. And DD really loved it : )

ETA - I just found Beautiful Girlhood online, and read a couple of excerpts. the two books are VERY different from each other. Tho they're both on the topic of Christian virtue for young women, that seems to be where the similarity stops.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:14 pm 

Cleaning, grocery shopping, maybe the library and pool today. BBQing on the 4th. Too bad our new HOA management banned fireworks, so it will be kind of boring. We will probably go to the parade.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

In our house this AM,
1) I'm drinking coffee
2) DD is sewing

The "left" coast, eh? Does that mean you are on the "right" coast?! Humph.

Dh and i went out to breakfast - alone. :) We played a game of cribbage, something we do regularly when we're out to eat.

It sounds like "Before You Meet Prince Charming" is along the line of "Beautiful Girlhood"? I could not get passed the tone of that book. I'd like to have it on hand for my 11 yo dgd's. Maybe we could do it as a read aloud but i do have my "fears" that they'd scoff at the language. Or they could be enchanted by it. :)

Sewing? *I* want to sew! I think i'm going to try a burrito (or magic) pillow. :) What is your dd sewing?

The opposite if left IS right, is it not? :ugeek:

What IS a magic/burrito pillow?

DD still does hand sewing, not machine - beginner projects.

She made this one last winter - I gave her the kit for Christmas and she loved doing it.
https://www.amazon.com/Haan-Crafts-Hedg ... B00BOQAMOS
(I JUST discovered that the mfg is going out of business! They made kits when I was a kid - makes me so sad! : (

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:49 pm 

Dh and I went to visit a Spanish church this morning. Loved the singing. Right now ds and dh are getting reading for a swim then go fishing all night. Depending on what they catch, I will be having fried fish and hash browns tomorrow for breakfast.

Dh's lil brother may come up from Tampa Mon or Tues, we may have a bbq, I just love roasted veggies on the barbie. But it is suppose to thunderstorm.

PS. How do we get rid of all the spam?

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:19 pm 

Briva wrote:
Dh and I went to visit a Spanish church this morning. Loved the singing. Right now ds and dh are getting reading for a swim then go fishing all night. Depending on what they catch, I will be having fried fish and hash browns tomorrow for breakfast.

Dh's lil brother may come up from Tampa Mon or Tues, we may have a bbq, I just love roasted veggies on the barbie. But it is suppose to thunderstorm.

PS. How do we get rid of all the spam?

*But it is suppose to thunderstorm.*

Isn't that like a daily occurrence where you live?!!! Just put an umbrella over the grill. :mrgreen: