It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:26 am 

Sis wrote:
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/bill-nye-science-guy-hits-evolution-deniers-123047918--abc-news-tech.html

It's not like I expected him to back creationists but I find this a bit scary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxX11c1cSWU&sns=em New youtube news story.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:32 am 

Tory wrote:
Can all you share how old you believe the Earth is?

I am a young earth believer, in agreement with Lisa's interpretation. With my oldest, I used Apologia science (elementary) materials from the start ... so astronomy, botany, zoology 1, zoology 2, and zoology 3. Each of those really helped "fix" my own messed up thinking between trying to make sense of the Bible along with my own public school (evolutionist) teaching. Last year we used Apologia General Science by Dr. Jay Wile (geared for use in 7th grade). In my humble opinion, it is powerful and I am thankful for the Apologia materials for not only my homeschool purposes but for myself as well. I feel as though they have given me clarity and the proper science education I never received (and they continue to do so). Just my humble 2¢.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:50 pm 

Shawny wrote:
Lisa, I also spent an entire afternoon adding up dates and came to the same conclusion on the age of the earth. It was fun to do. I remember the day I did it pretty vividly and I remember that I too had been taught (by public school) that the earth was old. I remember everything just clicking as I did it and realizing that Satan was using this doubt to confuse so many. There is no reason to doubt God's Word.

The problem is that the genealogies are not complete. There are many proofs of this within the Scriptures themselves. Incomplete genealogies does not equal error, but it does indicate that it is a dangerous game to try to draw conclusions on long term timing based on things like this. I posted this on another thread, but it is important to note that using the Bible like a 21st century book written in and to western society is a mistake.

Easily provable gaps in the genealogies:
1) Where did Cainan go? In Luke 3:35-36 we see that Sala was the son of Cainan who was the son of Arphaxad. In Genesis 10:24 we see that Arphaxad begat Salah etc. The point is not that there is an "error", the point is that unless Luke is mistaken or in error, the Genesis listings are NOT complete and should be viewed as indicative of ancestry, not necessarily paternity.
2) How old was Moses' dad?!?!? Moses' father was Amram according to Exodus 6:20. If you go back to the previous verses, you find that they list the paternity as being Levi->Kohath->Amram->Moses. When you consider that the Israelites were in Egypt for 430 years, that seems like a small number of generations. Then you start looking at their ages when they died Levi, 137 years, Kohath, 133 years, Amram, 137 years, Moses, 80 years old when they left and you think "O.K., I could see it working out if they had kids late in life." But wait - Kohath was one of the people that was there from the beginning of the time in Egypt according to Genesis 46:11. This means that the 430 years started no later than the year of Kohath's birth, and that Kohath's age (133)+ Amram's Age (137) + Moses age at the time of the Exodus would have to add up to 430 if the men in question had the child in the lineage the year they died. Simple math tells us that the numbers only add up to 350 years and the genealogy is clearly not complete. This is not indicative of an error, just a genealogy that is not written to be complete or to allow us to calculate specific dates of things hundreds of years apart.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm 

LisaTX wrote:
People wouldn't have the thought of of the Earth being billions of years old if it wasn't for evolutionists, whether you listen to them directly or not.

This is factually incorrect. By the first century Jewish rabbis were debating whether Genesis 1 was literal or, since it was written in poetic form in the original Hebrew, whether they should view it as figurative. Leaders in the early church debated the figurative/literal approach to interpretation of that passage and the age of the earth and it wasn't until the 17th century that a catholic bishop declared that the earth was created in 4004 B.C.

I am neither a "Creationist" as most folks view them nor a "Theistic Evolutionist" as defined by lots of folks. I am an "Old Earth Creationist." I believe that (as He stated) God did everything "In the fullness of time" and that His view on time is not necessarily man's view on time. The irony is that the science that is derided as false by many "creationists" proves several key elements from the Biblical narrative - a single point in time where creation from nothing occurred (the Big Bang being first documented by a catholic priest and given the name "The Big Bang" by atheists seeking to mock it), descendancy of all humans from a single woman and descendancy of all humans from a single man. I find it sad and humorous that the folks at AIG go to great lengths to read more into the account of the flood than was ever written there but claim anybody who reads Genesis 1 as the poem it was originally written as is a heretic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:44 pm 

...and in case anybody is curious, Philo discussed an "allegorical" approach to the creation account and the use of days unlike our own in the first century. Clement took this view in the second century. Origen discussed such an approach in the third century, Augustine in the fourth century, etc. Cicero wrote in the first century BC that the Babylonians claimed to have records covering 470,000 years of history. I point all of this out because the simple fact is that the concept of a young earth was not universally held among Jews, Christians, or Pagans.

Combine this with the fact that the same word for "Day" in Genesis 1 is translated elsewhere in the Old Testament as "Year", "Time", "ever", "always", "as long as" and several other ways that indicate a long period of time, and I would be hesitant to say it must be a 24 hour period.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:18 pm 

Is there any other place where the word for day is used with "and it was evening and morning, another day"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:45 pm 

There is one other place where we have the similar phrase (in KJV it is "the evening and the morning"). That place is Daniel 8:26 and the time associated with that is "many days." (using the same word for day as Genesis 1) It is actually describing the rise and fall of many empires over hundreds of years, and is described as being "the vision of the evening and the morning". (elsewhere in the chapter it describes this as being 2300 days, a figurative number equating to less than seven years)

So, the phrase "the evening and the morning" is a period of time, not always a literal day, even when the word day is being used.