It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:15 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bill Nye the Science Guy...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:57 pm 

Ken Ham does a good job of explaining it.

-There is death and disease in the fossil record, and if they're millions/billions of years old, death and disease would have been in the world before sin.

-God said everything was good and death and disease obviously aren't.

-God is not a sensless God and would not create a world with rocks to sit around for billions of years. Rocks do not bring glory to God, people do. Rocks don't interact with God, people do. He created the world for us to enjoy and to bring glory to Him. A barren world would just be pointless, and that's not God. Even a world with just dinosaurs/animals would be pointless. People underestimate our importance. God made the world for US to rule over and to bring glory to Him. Why would He create the "caretakers" of the world billions of years after He created the world?

-Using the Bible, you can determine the approx. age of the Earth. I've done it before (a long time ago) and it's def. nowhere near billions of years old.

-Carbon dating is not accurate, something "scientists" ignore. Creation scientists use more accurate methods (real science) to date rocks/fossils etc. and they're nowhere close to billions of years old. They've also proven how things that scientists think take millions/billions of years to form, actually form in a much shorter time
period with the right conditions.

-Real scientists agree that even if the earth was billions of years old, that would still not be enough time for anything to evolve. Another thing evolutionists ignore. They need an old world to spout evolution, but they're missing the required time needed AND the fossils. How they still have a following is beyond me.

- There's no reason to believe in an old earth or evolution since the Bible and science prove otherwise. You CAN believe in it and be a Christian, you would just have to throw out Biblical authority and say you know better than the Bible. Creationists/young earthers come at the evidence from a Biblical standpoint and see how it all lines up with the Bible and makes sense. They are able to explain evidence/events because of the Bible. Evolutionists come from an anti Biblical standpoint and that's why they can't explain/make sense of anything.

Answers in Genesis has some great resources.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:03 pm 

I agree with nearly all of his points enthusiasically- but

The Bible *says* the earth was without form and void "in the Beginning" - it doesn't state how long.

Rock can be old without being in the form we currently find it. Rock is quite often molten, and could have been in that form before becoming fossil - just because the matter of a fossil is old, doesn't mean that the form of it is.

We know from the Bible that at least some of the matter of earth preexisted creation. We don't know by how long. I think were the Bible is silent, we can have theories, but can also be flexible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:09 pm 

Pam in Colorado wrote:
Days 1, 2 and 3 were all created before the sun and moon were put in place, therefore the time frame of those days could be different than the 24 hour period that we are familiar with, that came about with the cycle of the rotation of these. Could that not explain an age difference without death before Adam and Eve? I am totally a Creationist, so no confusion of Who created, and How He created, but the how long His day was is where I have questions perhaps.

Does the context indicate that those days are different than the other days? Just reading the text, having never heard of an old earth, would you have that question? I don't think God tries to create confusion or trick us. The debate that was posted awhile back between Ken Ham and other young/old earthers did a great job of answering this question. I *think* they said that in almost all uses of the word "day" in the Bible, it meant a typical day and if it didn't mean a typical day, it was very obvious. It just doesn't make sense that God would use the word day several times describing creation and mean two different kinds of days, without warning us, like He's trying to trick us or we're just supposed to know, "Oh, well obviously these two "days" mean billions of years and these "days" mean 24 hours. Of course!"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
I agree with nearly all of his points enthusiasically- but

The Bible *says* the earth was without form and void "in the Beginning" - it doesn't state how long.

Rock can be old without being in the form we currently find it. Rock is quite often molten, and could have been in that form before becoming fossil - just because the matter of a fossil is old, doesn't mean that the form of it is.

We know from the Bible that at least some of the matter of earth preexisted creation. We don't know by how long. I think were the Bible is silent, we can have theories, but can also be flexible.

I can't see that, no matter how many times I read the first couple verses in my Bible. I don't see any room to come to our own conclusion. I don'see any silence. I see that it says in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth, hovered over it, and spoke everything into existence. That's all I can see. It doesn't give any reason to think billions of years. You CAN add things into the Bible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:22 pm 

Oh, I should have clarrified that the points I listed are not all from Ken Ham. Some are, others are from other places and at least one is just mine. Don't want to give the impression that he alone said all those things.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 pm 

I believe it is one of the mysteries of God. I've wondered about this for so many years and never found an answer that satisfies, so I can only think that God will reveal it to me in His time, ( or not at all, :D )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:32 pm 

Where I see the silence is where it says (from the best of my memory) "The earth was without form and void, and darkness moved upon the face of the deep" - there is no statement of time here in this section. The "days" of Creation start later in the text. So, I see a place for legitimate differences of opinion among devout, Bible believing Christians.

I believe in a younger earth myself, but allow that others may feel differently without disrespecting the text of Scripture.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:32 pm 

But, the problem I have is that Bill Nye is jumping on the bandwagon practically saying that Creationism is a fairytale and to have our American people "still believing in it" is an embarrassment and making us look stupid. We obviously have the "science" that proves evolution so we need to disallow anything that resembles questioning that squashed!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:36 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Where I see the silence is where it says (from the best of my memory) "The earth was without form and void, and darkness moved upon the face of the deep" - there is no statement of time here in this section. The "days" of Creation start later in the text. So, I see a place for legitimate differences of opinion among devout, Bible believing Christians.

I believe in a younger earth myself, but allow that others may feel differently without disrespecting the text of Scripture.

This was all part of the first day. God created the heavens and the earth. It was void. He separated the night and the day and that was the first day. That's what my Bible says and it all flows together nicely from day 1 to day 2, etc. I agree that Christians can believe whatever they want (although I also think it can damage the credibility of the Bible), I just think the only way you can see billions of years in it is if you want to compromise with the evolutionists. They're the ones who need billions of years, we don't, so I don't know why we would add something in there that isn't there.

You say there is no mention of time. That is exactly my point, lol! There isn't a mention of time. That's not silence, to me. That leads me to believe that there isn't time, since it isn't mentioned. I don't say, "Oh no, it doesn't say how long the earth was void. It must have been billions of years." No, I automatically come to the conclusion that since 3 verses later it says this was the first day, then it was the first day! Call me simple, lol. I think we make this more complicated than it needs to be, overanylizing scripture from all the junk spouted by godless people, instead of just reading what it says. There is plenty of scripture that is difficult to understand and raises lots of questions. This is pretty clearcut and straightforward to me. No mystery to it. I think all the questions and doubts come in from listening to the evolutionists. If not for them, no one would be confused about these verses. I think adding things in can be dangerous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:39 am 

Sis wrote:
But, the problem I have is that Bill Nye is jumping on the bandwagon practically saying that Creationism is a fairytale and to have our American people "still believing in it" is an embarrassment and making us look stupid. We obviously have the "science" that proves evolution so we need to disallow anything that resembles questioning that squashed!

I don't know much about Bill Nye, but it doesn't surprise me. They're getting more volatile towards creationists/Christians/God every day. They are now openly calling for the mocking of people who believe in God. Hatred towards God is increasing. The funny thing is, I don't know the numbers or statistics, but it seems to me like the majority of people reject evolution.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next