It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Good morning ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:12 am 

What is everyone up to? It seems pretty quiet here.

My newest dilemma - since my mom's abscess, she has not gotten back in the "habit" of eating. Nothing sounds good to her and i don't think she's eating anything solid. With our summer schedule ( :lol: - i use the term lightly!) we are often not home together at meal times and everyone's a bit on their own.

She's also showing more weakness and she just doesn't look as well. I need to pay more attention and make sure i am available to her more. She couldn't get out of the bathtub yesterday and i was just downstairs piddling around. I have a monitor but never heard her. (Come to think of it, she had no way of knowing how long she'd been in the tub. I might not have even been home!)

She really should eat more, whether it tastes good to her or not and she needs to move more! But.... i can't even get myself to follow that last part so how can i expect her to do it? I know the ideal answer is to exercise together but i just don't see it happening .... yet.

She's been here almost 10 mos now!

Other news - dh handed the bills off to me for 6 mos and i've had fun with it so far! :mrgreen: Yesterday i paid off a loan he's been struggling with - what a great feeling!!! And i paid off his eye doctor which he had expected to be paid for with insurance but wasn't covered. The next hurdle is getting our taxes done!!!

Post subject: Re: Good morning ladies!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:49 pm 

SInce your mother is not eating, have her drink protein shakes. that is some calories to get in her. or soft ice cream or yogurt.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 pm 

Is her tooth hurting?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:53 pm 

No, Tory, her tooth/teeth don't seem to be bothering her now. Just no real food sounds good to her.

Linda, she's been drinking some protein shakes and makes malts with ice cream and banana but she's not eating any solid food. When she doesn't solid food she has the runs more, it seems. I can't make her eat anything, she's kinda stubborn! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 pm 

My mom was really good at making sure to eat in a schedule, hungry or not. Something for breakfast, main meal at lunch (noon) then a light dinner or snack (they loved crackers with salmon dip). She would also do a shake near bedtime.

Homemade soup she cooked up in the pressure cooker was mostly what they ate. Some fresh veg on the side. You can puree a soup to help it easier to eat.

With ds working at a nursing home he is observing a few picky seniors. They love their standard mashed potatoes, meatloaf, or noodle casserole type meals. Maybe some comfort food will bring her appetite back?

Oh, I know she is grown, but I would supervise or at least monitor her shower/tub time. My mom would let us know when she was going to shower and would never lock the door. She fell once and my cousin had to tinker with the door lock. Better safe than sorry :)

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:32 pm 

My mom lives alone and I worry.

It's hard seeing them get older and more stubborn.. Because they want to stay independent (I don't blame her.. I don't want to be taken care of either)