It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:09 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Yes, i'm driving.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:39 pm 

I was talking with a young woman today and i told her the new shiny restaurant was open. She hadn't seen it and said to take a pic. I said i didn't have my camera and she said to use my phone. I told her i don't have a phone and looked like i was speaking another language. She said, "You don't have a phone?" - I respond, "Nope." She said, "And you're driving?!" :roll:

:lol: She was really incredulous that i could/would drive without a cell phone! She said she really could not imagine driving without a cell phone!

Post subject: Re: Yes, i'm driving.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:10 pm 

Lol! I guess she never would have lived through the dark ages 20 years ago when we actually had to.. :::gasp! :: use a pay phone!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:19 pm 

You don't even have a "dumb" phone?

Yeah, I remember the good ole days when we drove using a map!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:24 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
You don't even have a "dumb" phone?

Yeah, I remember the good ole days when we drove using a map!

I do - at home, connected to a base. But it's often smarter thanthe smart ones. hehe :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:45 am 

We saved a LOT of money replacing our landline with a cheapo cell phone (I have a $15 phone, and AT&T go phone service - I love it : )

In the old days, phone booths existed - and people would stop & help if you had car trouble. Neither of those things are true any more. If *I* pass someone who is stranded, I think, "I'm sure they're calling for help on their cell phone, and don't need me" - I think most other folks do that, too.

I agree with your young friend - a phone while driving nowadays (ESPECIALLY if your car isnt' new) is a smart thing to have. But, I DO favor a "dumb" phone - no need for pictures or texting while you drive. THAT does NOT help. And, *you* know how to read a map :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:17 am 

People are afraid to stop, too. Around here, they put out decoys... A young cute girl, and older lady, And then jump you when you stop. Just yesterday a man was lying in the road! Some one stopped to check on him, thinking he'd been hit by a car. Well, the man stood up with a weapon and robbed the good Samaritan.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:42 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
We saved a LOT of money replacing our landline with a cheapo cell phone (I have a $15 phone, and AT&T go phone service - I love it : )

In the old days, phone booths existed - and people would stop & help if you had car trouble. Neither of those things are true any more. If *I* pass someone who is stranded, I think, "I'm sure they're calling for help on their cell phone, and don't need me" - I think most other folks do that, too.

I agree with your young friend - a phone while driving nowadays (ESPECIALLY if your car isnt' new) is a smart thing to have. But, I DO favor a "dumb" phone - no need for pictures or texting while you drive. THAT does NOT help. And, *you* know how to read a map :ugeek:

I had a phone for awhile (awaiting the birth of grandkids). Then we got a landline when dd went in the Navy because cell phone coverage is spotty around here and there are many dropped calls. AT&T doesn't work here at all. How much is the phone service part? I really like having a landline and everybody can use it. :)

Phone booths only existed in towns, tho'. "Call boxes" are/were on some highways. If i am "traveling" i will use dh's phone. If i could have one that i only paid for when i use it and not have to pay monthly, i might consider that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:51 am 

Tory wrote:
People are afraid to stop, too. Around here, they put out decoys... A young cute girl, and older lady, And then jump you when you stop. Just yesterday a man was lying in the road! Some one stopped to check on him, thinking he'd been hit by a car. Well, the man stood up with a weapon and robbed the good Samaritan.

That's awful and it's happened forever. When i was younger, and way before cell phones, fake police were pulling women over in out-of-the-way places and r@ping them.

It's a good idea to THINK as you're stopping to help someone. We usually roll the window down and just ask "you ok?" and they generally are. Or they have called someone. In all my years i've never had to help anybody!!! But there's little i could do anyway besides give them a ride somewhere. :?

As for the guy laying in the road - hmmmm. I don't know what i'd do. I wouldn't think i'd just drive off.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 am 

Drive off but report it. That way the next person to stop and check out the person will be a cop.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:06 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I had a phone for awhile (awaiting the birth of grandkids). Then we got a landline when dd went in the Navy because cell phone coverage is spotty around here and there are many dropped calls. AT&T doesn't work here at all. How much is the phone service part? I really like having a landline and everybody can use it. :)

Phone booths only existed in towns, tho'. "Call boxes" are/were on some highways. If i am "traveling" i will use dh's phone. If i could have one that i only paid for when i use it and not have to pay monthly, i might consider that.

Sorry you don't have AT&T there!

GoPhone is 10cents a minute - no monthly fee (at least, that's one of the plans) so, we bought the phone for 14.99, and then pay 10/minute -and that's it. You DO have to refill to keep your number, you can't just buy a hour and keep it forever. But, that's not a problem for me. If you buy more, they last longer.

There are several other companies now that have similar service - I think tracphone is one of them. Check whichever providers offer good coverage in your area, and ask them if they have a pay-as-you-go plan : )

I'm glad you use your DH's phone when you travel : )