It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cleaning
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm 

This severe bout seems like it's been about a month (I have no concept of time!)

But the lower back problem itself (herniations & bulges in discs at more than 1 level) has been going on for 19 years, and just gets aggravated now & then. The neck problem (bulges, central disc protrusion, degenerative disc, etc) for 40 years, and causes frequent trouble.

Thanks be to God, I have a job that allows me to rest and recover when I need to! (tho poor DH has to pick up way more slack than is fair when I am down : (

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:39 pm 

This looks like something that might interest you, given your current research:
http://foodinjars.com/2017/04/make-clea ... timist-co/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 am 

It seems like lately, every time I get the house into almost decent shape, then I get hit with a headache and that sets me back at least a couple days. It takes the kids no time to destroy the house, and days to recover. It's embarrassing, I can't invite anyone over. The biggest eyesore, is the windows. Over the years, the kids have destroyed all of the blinds, and now one window has a sheet to cover it, another one has a blanket that is all shredded from the cats climbing it, and the other one has raggedy blinds that are all broken and crooked. I guess it's finally time to splurge and buy new blinds, just so the kids can ruin those, too. But it's hard justifying it, when there are more important things like medical bills or the trim on the outside of the windows, that is rotting.

I did get a nice surprise from dd today, though. She went upstairs with a towel and a spray bottle of vinegar (idea I got from Anna), and said she was cleaning the bathroom mirror. When I went up to brush the baby's teeth at bedtime, I noticed she had also wiped down the counter and sink area. I can definitely use all the help I can get. She is resistant to things I actually tell her to do, but then just goes and does stuff on a whim, lol.

It's hard to keep the kitchen clean because there's a lot I can't do when Adrian is awake, like loading/unloading the dishwasher and sleeping. Things just pile up and it's a race to get it done when he's asleep, it drives me crazy. But he is finally getting to the point where I can shoo him away and get those things done, without him trying to grab knives or play in the dust pile.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:38 am 

I'll be relieved when you get an answer about these headaches, Lisa!

I totally understand the blinds thing! Ours were quite unsightly when we finally got rid of them.
I replaced them with some of these curtains, https://www.amazon.com/Blackout-Darkeni ... s+blackout (I got dark blue, and maybe a different size, but you get the idea) and have been very happy ever since. It was a cheap replacement, and has worked great for us : )

So glad that Saphira likes my window cleaner, and has been such a big help! What a blessing! She sounds like a great kid : )

And, with 5 little ones, and a Mom with a disability, of COURSE you can't keep everything perfect! Go ahead and invite people anyway - if they're decent human beings, they'll understand : ) And, they might be a little relieved about their own housekeeping ; )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am 

LisaTX wrote:
It seems like lately, every time I get the house into almost decent shape, then I get hit with a headache and that sets me back at least a couple days. It takes the kids no time to destroy the house, and days to recover. It's embarrassing, I can't invite anyone over. The biggest eyesore, is the windows. Over the years, the kids have destroyed all of the blinds, and now one window has a sheet to cover it, another one has a blanket that is all shredded from the cats climbing it, and the other one has raggedy blinds that are all broken and crooked. I guess it's finally time to splurge and buy new blinds, just so the kids can ruin those, too. But it's hard justifying it, when there are more important things like medical bills or the trim on the outside of the windows, that is rotting.

I did get a nice surprise from dd today, though. She went upstairs with a towel and a spray bottle of vinegar (idea I got from Anna), and said she was cleaning the bathroom mirror. When I went up to brush the baby's teeth at bedtime, I noticed she had also wiped down the counter and sink area. I can definitely use all the help I can get. She is resistant to things I actually tell her to do, but then just goes and does stuff on a whim, lol.

It's hard to keep the kitchen clean because there's a lot I can't do when Adrian is awake, like loading/unloading the dishwasher and sleeping. Things just pile up and it's a race to get it done when he's asleep, it drives me crazy. But he is finally getting to the point where I can shoo him away and get those things done, without him trying to grab knives or play in the dust pile.

Is it possible you are allergic to some of the cleaning products you use? Perfumes and chemicals can bring on debilitating migraines.

Blinds are a nightmare! You can get good expensive ones that don't go all wonky as easily as cheapies but with littles, it's still going to happen. I don't know why so many people with kids (and dogs and cats) have blinds!And WHY do renters put them in rentals?!!! Why not curtains? Just one at a time will soon finish them off. The sheet could even be made into a decent curtain if you have sewing skills. :) I saw some simple ones made of burlap that could be cute with a couple of embellishments. Those broken messed up blinds ARE a huge eyesore imho. We have blinds in the upstairs bathroom and i can't stand it when the kids look thru them and get them separated. (Kind of like making the bed! LOL)

YAY for dd!!!!! :D

As for the kitchen - it is what it is. It sounds like progress is being made and time will take care of it. It is a messy time of life ESPECIALLY for homeschoolers!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:02 pm 

Anna, I'm sorry you are dealing with such issues with your back. :(

As for those black out curtains.. Dd was showing me some last night she's ordering from wal... Mart. They are 9.99 a panel and come in several colors to choose from.
My only issue with them is they can't be pulled up out of the way like blinds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:08 pm 

Sis raises a good point!! Have you changed anything? Soap, shampoo, laundry or dish detergent?

I have developed an allergy to onions! I can't cut them up because the smell of them gives me migraines! (never did it when I was younger, but it does now.)

Bleach, air fresheners, dryer sheets... All are "triggers" for me... Try to keep track of what you were doing the day before your migraines.. See if a pattern emerges.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm 

Tory wrote:
Anna, I'm sorry you are dealing with such issues with your back. :(

As for those black out curtains.. Dd was showing me some last night she's ordering from wal... Mart. They are 9.99 a panel and come in several colors to choose from.
My only issue with them is they can't be pulled up out of the way like blinds.

If they're fabric you can just use yarn and or a hook to bring them to the side.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:12 pm 

The ones I got from amazon come with free tie-backs, if that's your thing. : )

The amazon price is for 2 panels, so the prices are close. I'd be curious to see the link to the Walmart ones- I've been wondering what other colors might be out there : )

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:14 pm 

I'll ask dd when she gets home. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next