It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Cleaning
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:31 pm 

SOMEhow i fell into some cleaning videos today! :mrgreen: It probably has to do with being able to stay HOME and feel the clutter and dust of my home today. :?

But after watching several videos and listening to their "favorite" products i tho't - meh, not my thing. One was into lemon everything, another seemed to prefer anti-bacterial everything, and another was into EVERYTHING! :lol:

*I* just want a few products to use for all of my cleaning but i do like a nice smell. I also like the idea of "green" and natural stuff. What are your favorite cleaning products? Which ONE, or two, products could you "not live without"?

Post subject: Re: Cleaning
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 am 

I make my own of most things.
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2014 ... -that.html
http://stuffedveggies.blogspot.com/2014 ... -that.html

I think the nicest smell is "clean" And, the chemicals they use in mass market cleaners are of dubious healthfulness (have you ever read the warnings on those things?!)

It REALLY bothers me to walk into someplace like a public bathroom that smells like overpowering perfume and is filthy. If it's clean, it won't smell bad. If it's dirty, more perfume just makes it worse. Kinda like putting gravy over a gross cut of meat.

And, commercial artificial scents are believed to aggravate conditions like allergies and asthma.

Which is to say - the above is what I use - and I'm very happy with it. It's cheap, safer, and healthier. But, it won't make your house smell like a perfume factory. For that, you can always buy one of those fancy candles or room sprays, if it's really important to you : )

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:40 am 

For bathrooms and kitchen I use Comet. I like how it gets everything really clean. I use it in the stainless steel kitchen sink, and it whiten s the Counteryops. (my Counteryops are white). So far there has been no stain it won't get off those Countertops!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:45 am 

On my job of cleaning new construction, we only use water and a drop of dawn. That's it.

All counters, windows, cabinets, bathrooms... Just hot water and a drop of dawn in the bucket.....

We only use harsh chemicals rarely, and I do mean rarely.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm 

Have you heard of a cleaner called "Method"?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:26 pm 

Anna, do you think it would work to put an essential oil into the cleaner to leave a fragrance? I don't particularly like "clean" smell. LOL Well, i DO, but i like a hint of orange or cucumber or something light like those.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:18 pm 

I haven't heard of that, Sis.

Fabulouso, the purple kind... Smells good. Not overpowering and a little goes a long way. We used that when we cleaned rentals. Pour a little in the toilet, or a little in wash water.

I get migrains from scents so I have to be careful what I use. I really like Fabulouso.
There's another thing I like but I can't think of the name... Lol! It's for laundry, little beads you add to the rince cycle.. However, when I had some, I would dissolve some in water and pour it into the carpet shampoo-er, and I've left a small bowl with dry beads on a shelf 8n the living room. They smell good but not overpowering.
A little pricey, but it lasts a long time because you don't need to use much.
I like the blue one... I'll have to search for the name. It does work great for smelly laundry, too! Even for boys clothes because it doesn't smell "girly".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:29 pm 

Sis wrote:
Anna, do you think it would work to put an essential oil into the cleaner to leave a fragrance? I don't particularly like "clean" smell. LOL Well, i DO, but i like a hint of orange or cucumber or something light like those.

I believe that it would work because I know of lots of folks who do it : )

I'm simply too cheap & lazy to bother, myself :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:10 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:

I believe that it would work because I know of lots of folks who do it : )

I'm simply too cheap & lazy to bother, myself :mrgreen:

I tho't maybe the vinegar would neutralize their smell, also! :ugeek: So much of our cleanliness is mental. Other countries would think we are poisoning ourselves with our fanatic thinking. My "nanny" used cleaners in a much stronger ratio than recommended. It was expensive and strong smelling! She learned, tho'.

I have vinegar. I have dishsoap. I only have strong essential oils so won't be using those at this point.

What about laundry soap? Dryer sheets?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:14 pm 

Tory wrote:
I haven't heard of that, Sis.

Fabulouso, the purple kind... Smells good. Not overpowering and a little goes a long way. We used that when we cleaned rentals. Pour a little in the toilet, or a little in wash water.

I get migrains from scents so I have to be careful what I use. I really like Fabulouso.
There's another thing I like but I can't think of the name... Lol! It's for laundry, little beads you add to the rince cycle.. However, when I had some, I would dissolve some in water and pour it into the carpet shampoo-er, and I've left a small bowl with dry beads on a shelf 8n the living room. They smell good but not overpowering.
A little pricey, but it lasts a long time because you don't need to use much.
I like the blue one... I'll have to search for the name. It does work great for smelly laundry, too! Even for boys clothes because it doesn't smell "girly".

Yeah, i don't like strong scents and the heavier floral and musky ones are awful! I used to like the "ocean breeze" types but they seem heavier now. Could just be me. I have some of those beads somewhere. I was going to use them in a "craft" but after i remembered to buy them i forgot what i was going to use them for! :oops:

I'll need to rent a shampooer. AFTER i'm sure there will be no more flooding for awhile! I think Fabulouso might be one a couple of the videos recommended. I don't think i've ever used it.