It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Have you ever questioned the history of cereal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:24 pm 

A paragraph about cereal. :)

In 1866, a follower of Jackson’s, Ellen White (founder of the Seventh Day Adventist Church), started the Western Health Reform Institute in Battle Creek, Michigan with her husband James. The early years of the Institute were unremarkable, and attendance was low. In 1886, Ellen took a chance on young John Harvey Kellogg when she hired him to help market her sanitarium. White paid for Kellogg to study at New York’s Belleview Hospital, where he began thinking of ways to make ready-to-eat cereals available to the masses. When he returned to Battle Creek, Kellogg took over the struggling Institute and renamed it the Battle Creek Sanitarium. He advocated a vegetarian diet and told patients to “eat what the monkeys eat – simple food and not too much of it.” At the sanitarium, Kellogg taught his unorthodox fitness program to several celebrities, including President Taft, Amelia Earhart and Thomas Edison.

:ugeek:

Post subject: Re: Have you ever questioned the history of cereal?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:38 pm 

I knew part of that - but interesting about President Taft et al : )

Kellogg & crowd also thought that c0nst1pat10n caused improper other des1res. And that the roughage in cereal helped control that.

There was a movie on this topic several years ago - but it played fast and loose with the facts and was not "family friendly" I certainly cannot recommend it - it was a real disappointment. I think (after researching - it was not memorable except for being impr0per) it was called "The Road to Wellville"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:10 am 

You come up with the strangest things! However, I always find myself wondering about them once you bring up the subject.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:21 am 

Tory wrote:
You come up with the strangest things! However, I always find myself wondering about them once you bring up the subject.

I have been told that by others. :lol: I wish i wasn't fascinated by so MANY different things! It keeps me from focusing on something and becoming knowledgeable. sigh Oh, well. It's how i am and i can't see to curb it. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:49 am 

My dad used to say it"s better to know a little about a lot of things, than to know all about only one thing.
(at least that was his answer when I'd complain about watching yet another documentary, instead of The Cosby Show, like the rest of my friends....)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:59 pm 

Tory wrote:
My dad used to say it"s better to know a little about a lot of things, than to know all about only one thing.
(at least that was his answer when I'd complain about watching yet another documentary, instead of The Cosby Show, like the rest of my friends....)

He's close. :ugeek: I believe the original saying was "Jack of all trades, master of one." It's good to know "everything" about something AND a bit about a lot of things. I've gotten too hung up on the many and haven't mastered anything. sigh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:03 pm 

Lol! I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:45 am 
Site Owner

LOL, I don't think Taft was much into fitness. He was the heaviest president ever!