It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Do you know your heritage?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:27 am 

https://dna-explained.com/2017/04/03/je ... -and-lies/ After reading this article, I'm highly interested in getting a DNA test.

Post subject: Re: Do you know your heritage?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 am 

I find genetics so fascinating! On the Indian part, nobody is mentioning the fact that "Indians" are not pure Indian, either! They came from "across the pond" at some point, too.

Of course the "Jessica's Biel" thing stood out to me big time after yesterday's apostrophe discussion! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:48 am 

Very interesting article.

I'm very NOT interested in getting a DNA test. They only claim to reveal where your ancestors were 500 years ago, not more recently. Which means that there is pretty much no one alive who can prove their inaccuracy by revealing family records that contradict their findings. I think they're a fraud. There is no way for them - or for anyone else - to prove or disprove their findings.

But, I DID appreciate the article - it was fascinating : )

And, Sis makes a great point, too : )

(BTW - have NO idea who Jessica - or Jessica's - Biel is!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:42 pm 

Ds and I were discussing this last night. I'm on Anna's side. I just am not that intetested and don't really see the point. However, I guess it's good for those that ARE interested.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:00 pm 

I only skimmed the story. I am interested in my ancestry in the form of researching ancestors, birth/death records, family records, making a record of it for our kids to have, that kind of thing. My cousin and I are trying to do some research now just because we don't know much about one side of the family. But no way would I ever send anyone a DNA sample! I'm not THAT curious LOL!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:58 pm 

I know a microbiologist, creationist friend of dh, that thinks they are hooey, too. She wonders WHO is collecting the data, WHY and HOW is it being stored.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:05 am 

Sis wrote:
I find genetics so fascinating! On the Indian part, nobody is mentioning the fact that "Indians" are not pure Indian, either! They came from "across the pond" at some point, too.

Of course the "Jessica's Biel" thing stood out to me big time after yesterday's apostrophe discussion! :mrgreen:

I'm with you on the "Indians' aspect as well. "Native American Indians" are not truly "native" to this continent. They did "cross the pond" at some point and time, too just like the rest of us.

Their ancestors may have been here on the Northern continents a little longer than our ancestors, but by no means are they the "native" people.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:53 am 

BTW - love that picture you posted, Briva : )

And on the "Indian" question - the only way people can believe in "native" people who have just ALWAYS lived in a certain place is if they don't believe the Bible. The Bible explains ancient migration patterns quite clearly. So - I'm with you, Sis & Stacy!