It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:13 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Borrowing dread.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:40 am 

I'm feeling the grind of working already. I'm dreading today because it's the last day before another week of work. Sheesh. Pathetic.

When i was working "on purpose", and regularly, i don't think i felt this way. I'm not sure what the difference is. Or if there really is a difference. ;) Or maybe it's because it's spring break and the grands are home from school and i'll be off to work?

I guess it's time to CHOOSE to make the most of it, eh? :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Borrowing dread.
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:54 pm 

I have to honest.. I hate having to work outside the home! I know some women thrive on working and all that goes with it, but I don't now and never did as a young single adult.

I don't recall ever thinking.. "yippee!! I get to go to work tomorrow!" :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:11 pm 

Tory wrote:
I have to honest.. I hate having to work outside the home! I know some women thrive on working and all that goes with it, but I don't now and never did as a young single adult.

I don't recall ever thinking.. "yippee!! I get to go to work tomorrow!" :lol:

That's definitely me now. But, when i've worked before i always felt it was easier to work outside the home. That was probably because BEFORE i always had the luxury of having someone take care of things at home - meals, shopping, cleaning, taking care of the kids. Either dh was doing it, having the kids do it, or we had a "nanny" that did it.

That's the only real difference i see. Oh, and that i am OLDER!!!!! :mrgreen: I quit my coffee stand job 11 years ago! Is that possible?!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:21 pm 

I'm definitely a "grass is greener" type of person. I'm never happy, no matter what, lol. I hated working all day. I would always think about how someone else was raising my kids and my house was sitting at home empty, needing someone to tend to it. I hated the people I worked with and hated my job (at least the last couple years of it). Those were the main reasons I started staying home and homeschooling. But after the honeymoon phase of that ended, I wasn't really happy, either. I didn't know it was so much MORE work to stay home! I feel like I enjoyed my kids more and had better quality time with them, when I was working full time. I sometimes yearn to go back to work, but then the thought of not being with the kids fills me with dread, too! I guess I'll just always be a mess whatever I do, lol!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:41 pm 

Lol! I'm that way about certain things' too! Never happy.. Lol!
If like Sis says, there was someone to tend to the home front, I might would be sort of ok with working, but I don't like having a rigid schedule... Be there by 6 am.. Work till they tell you to go to lunch, work till they tell you to go home...
I want the income but not my time managed. I can't figure out to get paid to do what I want... Stay home and read...
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:23 pm 

Given the difficult day you had last week, I think it's normal.

I think a lot of looking forward to work or dreading it has to do with office politics, friends , bureaucracy & frustration, and work environment more than the actual job.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:29 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

I think a lot of looking forward to work or dreading it has to do with office politics, friends , bureaucracy & frustration, and work environment more than the actual job.

I had one job that I absolutely loved! My job for 5 1/2 years until my first child, dd, was born. I worked at a copy store/typing service. It was only me, my male boss, and the male tech guy. The tech guy stayed in the back most of the time fixing or installing things into the computers, and my boss was out a lot or when he was in, he took me lunch. It wasn't an expensive lunch, just a small, Chinese resturant. When I first married and started working there, I told my boss that I never had Chinese food before so he fixed that right away. He was a great boss. The tech guy was a little "hick-ish" for me, but still, overall, a great guy. I would have loved to stay there even after my daughter's birth, but I made an agreement with my dh before we were married that once we had kids, I would stay at home. I would never make enough money to pay for daycare, and it was ridiculous for me to try and work full time just to have my paycheck go straight to daycare. I don't regret staying home. I was already involved with my church before kids, so when I had them and could function, somewhat, I just continued being heavily involved with my church as much as possible. I tried working part time jobs, here and there, but then my dh would become cranky because he had to "babysit" and run the kids, everywhere. So I just stopped working all together.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:22 pm 

Anna1111 wrote:

So true! AND, i find myself saying, "i'm so tired of feeling so stupid". :( It's making the same stupid mistakes over and over, altho' it's slowwwwly improving. If only there was a way to PRACTICE! sheesh If i "act" like i'm going thru the procedure without actual numbers and accounts i find myself on a screen that won't let me out without actually depositing or withdrawing funds! :shock: OR - for me boss/friend to come get me out by some back door. So i'm afraid of it.

Today i did a rather bad mistake. The customer caught it right away THANKFULLY! And my boss was next to me and helped me fix it but it was pure .... "inattention", i guess. Somehow i didn't see that she was depositing 2 checks (they were identical in every way), and she wanted cash back. I didn't even see the part where she wanted cash back. ANNND, there were others waiting. UGH The heat was rising up my neck. :oops:

I'm always praying for the Lord to help me and i do try my best. "Boss" is so amazingly fast and knows the customers and all their numbers by heart. She'll tell me, as they're walking in, that they probably want this and that, so i'll be prepared and start thinking that way.

I don't expect to ever be like her. I would just like to be able to do the most common transactions without issues! Ok. I'm done beating myself up. I AM getting there and i DO try my best. I got 100% on my test about the FDIC. :) I'll just be glad when this week is over.

(It didn't help much that i woke up an hour late this morning. I made it to work early, tho', since i didn't eat breakfast.)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:26 pm 

StacyinTN wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

I had one job that I absolutely loved! My job for 5 1/2 years until my first child, dd, was born. I worked at a copy store/typing service. It was only me, my male boss, and the male tech guy. The tech guy stayed in the back most of the time fixing or installing things into the computers, and my boss was out a lot or when he was in, he took me lunch. It wasn't an expensive lunch, just a small, Chinese resturant. When I first married and started working there, I told my boss that I never had Chinese food before so he fixed that right away. He was a great boss. The tech guy was a little "hick-ish" for me, but still, overall, a great guy. I would have loved to stay there even after my daughter's birth, but I made an agreement with my dh before we were married that once we had kids, I would stay at home. I would never make enough money to pay for daycare, and it was ridiculous for me to try and work full time just to have my paycheck go straight to daycare. I don't regret staying home. I was already involved with my church before kids, so when I had them and could function, somewhat, I just continued being heavily involved with my church as much as possible. I tried working part time jobs, here and there, but then my dh would become cranky because he had to "babysit" and run the kids, everywhere. So I just stopped working all together.

Ah yes. I had a job, maybe two or three even!, that i enjoyed. One was as a receptionist at a Wesleyan publishing house! Another was typing for another publishing entity at a Christian college. And then the coffee shop. Those were all nice. Once i'm good at something i generally enjoy it. Hoping i get there soon at the bank. My hours should be diminishing greatly, tho'. Both employees have taken their vacation time. There may be an appointment here or there that i cover for but the next chunk of time will probably be in the fall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:23 am 

Sis wrote:
Anna1111 wrote:

So true! AND, i find myself saying, "i'm so tired of feeling so stupid". :( It's making the same stupid mistakes over and over, altho' it's slowwwwly improving. If only there was a way to PRACTICE! sheesh If i "act" like i'm going thru the procedure without actual numbers and accounts i find myself on a screen that won't let me out without actually depositing or withdrawing funds! :shock: OR - for me boss/friend to come get me out by some back door. So i'm afraid of it.

Today i did a rather bad mistake. The customer caught it right away THANKFULLY! And my boss was next to me and helped me fix it but it was pure .... "inattention", i guess. Somehow i didn't see that she was depositing 2 checks (they were identical in every way), and she wanted cash back. I didn't even see the part where she wanted cash back. ANNND, there were others waiting. UGH The heat was rising up my neck. :oops:

I'm always praying for the Lord to help me and i do try my best. "Boss" is so amazingly fast and knows the customers and all their numbers by heart. She'll tell me, as they're walking in, that they probably want this and that, so i'll be prepared and start thinking that way.

I don't expect to ever be like her. I would just like to be able to do the most common transactions without issues! Ok. I'm done beating myself up. I AM getting there and i DO try my best. I got 100% on my test about the FDIC. :) I'll just be glad when this week is over.

(It didn't help much that i woke up an hour late this morning. I made it to work early, tho', since i didn't eat breakfast.)

Well, the "feeling so stupid" thing is something you might be able to discuss with your boss. She might know of some way you could practice - or be able to help you in some way. To the best of my knowledge, no boss EVER has been upset when an employee asked for help to do a better job! And, there's always the chance that she'll reassure you and tell you that you're doing better than most new folk ;)