It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:54 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Doggie argh.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm 

I don't know if it is because the yard is so water-saturated or what but our 5yo dog is loathe to poo outside! Most recently he has begun going into my Mom's room to poo! She's good about it cuz she loves the dumb beast but ARGH!!!!! And it's always been when dh is gone. :evil:

Post subject: Re: Doggie argh.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

It could be the wet ground. Also though... My experience with my own dogs is; once they do it inside one time its very hard to break them of it!

I finally got the carpet shampooed and now my dogs are kept in the kitchen at night... Period, I used to feel sorry for them, but learned my lesson!! I put bedding down for them to sleep on so they are not on the hardwood floor, but if they whine, they don't get out.

It's taken a while but so far so good. The carpet has stayed clean!! They get locked up any time we aren't home, or if we are busy. Now, when they come out of the kitchen, they go out right away.

Your mom needs to keep her door closed to keep doggy out of her room until he gets retrained to go out. Clean the area well with warm sudsy water (I used a carpet shampooer) and rinse well with vinegar water. Dry up as much as possible.

It's hard... But oh man I was so over it. It was either get this to stop or find them a new home. I was that "done"!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:36 am 

Sis wrote:
I don't know if it is because the yard is so water-saturated or what but our 5yo dog is loathe to poo outside! Most recently he has begun going into my Mom's room to poo! She's good about it cuz she loves the dumb beast but ARGH!!!!! And it's always been when dh is gone. :evil:

The dog could also being doing this as he is missing your dh, he is sick with something (last vet check?), or some other behavioral situation. I agree with Tory, though, keep the doors closed so he is not tempted to go in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:13 am 

He's never been exactly potty trained. :roll: He just will not tell us when he has to go. :roll: Unless we ask him. Then it's more like he wants to go outside, not necessarily to go potty. He's an "intact male" and 'tis the season so that's not very reliable. sigh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm 

Sis wrote:
He's never been exactly potty trained. :roll: He just will not tell us when he has to go. :roll: Unless we ask him. Then it's more like he wants to go outside, not necessarily to go potty. He's an "intact male" and 'tis the season so that's not very reliable. sigh

I would put him in a crate at night. First thing in the morning, take him outside and keep him out there until he goes. It shouldn't take long since he has been in a crate all night. Then, feed him. Give him about 5 to 10 minutes and back outside he goes. He stays outside until he goes. If the weather is okay, then stand out there with him and when he does go, give him a treat and tell him he is a very good dog...lots of positive reinforcement. The tricky part is now that he is awake and fed, there is no telling when he will need to go, again. Just like Tory mentioned, anytime you are busy doing something, put him back in the crate. The minute you are ready to pay attention to him, take him directly outside and praise him when he goes to the bathroom. All dogs need a somewhat consistent schedule and routine. Otherwise, you will have a nervous.anxious dog who never knows what to expect.

We I got my puppies at 8 weeks, it was a long battle for 2 months in potty training them, but I just stuck to a very strict routine with them. I also taught them how to ring the bell at the back door to let me know when they needed to go outside. It eventually worked. But it did a long time to get that thought sunk into their brains. Now they ring the bell all the time, whether they just want to go outside and play or do their business (or both). My female puppy will still have an accident if she goes upstairs with me, and then, becomes really excited. When my dh is home from work, he will sleep in so we go upstairs and wake him up. That is when she is likely to pee from the excitement of waking up "daddy." So now, I make sure she has gone outside before I take them upstairs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:08 pm 

StacyinTN wrote:
Sis wrote:

I would put him in a crate at night. First thing in the morning, take him outside and keep him out there until he goes. It shouldn't take long since he has been in a crate all night. Then, feed him. Give him about 5 to 10 minutes and back outside he goes. He stays outside until he goes. If the weather is okay, then stand out there with him and when he does go, give him a treat and tell him he is a very good dog...lots of positive reinforcement. The tricky part is now that he is awake and fed, there is no telling when he will need to go, again. Just like Tory mentioned, anytime you are busy doing something, put him back in the crate. The minute you are ready to pay attention to him, take him directly outside and praise him when he goes to the bathroom. All dogs need a somewhat consistent schedule and routine. Otherwise, you will have a nervous.anxious dog who never knows what to expect.

>>> If it were MY responsibility i would have him scheduled. I do that when dh is gone for long periods of time. We have to stay out with him since there's no fence. He does get treats for going outside. What can i say? It's like babysitting a spoiled child.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:31 pm 

It is more diffucult when the rest of the family is not onboard with the training. I'm STILL having to remind my dc to walk the dogs first thing! Before breakfast, before leaving the house for the day, etc.

Also, the kitchen gate is the best $60 i ever spent. I can lock them in the kitchen when needed.. Or lock them out when im cooking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:00 am 

Tory wrote:
It is more diffucult when the rest of the family is not onboard with the training. I'm STILL having to remind my dc to walk the dogs first thing! Before breakfast, before leaving the house for the day, etc.

Also, the kitchen gate is the best $60 i ever spent. I can lock them in the kitchen when needed.. Or lock them out when im cooking.

Tory, why is locking them in the KITCHEN a good thing? :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:49 pm 

They get locked in the kitchen at night. So they cant be loose in the house while we are asleep. ;) (also if we are not at home...)

Also, if i have company, they dont behave! So, I lock them in the kitchen so they cant jump all over people. AND when I babysit, they go into the kitchen so they arent around the baby.

The kitchen is the only non-carpeted room that i can lock them inside of.
I do have crates for them, but dont crate them very often. They have more room in the kitchen and they have access to water.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:57 pm 

Sis wrote:
StacyinTN wrote:
Sis wrote:

>>> If it were MY responsibility i would have him scheduled. I do that when dh is gone for long periods of time. We have to stay out with him since there's no fence. He does get treats for going outside. What can i say? It's like babysitting a spoiled child.

We don't have a fenced in yard, either. But we do have two, 25 foot cables...https://www.chewy.com/aspen-pet-x-large ... lsrc=aw.ds

We attach one end to a group of chairs (that are really heavy) and the other ends we keep inside, right by our back door (by the bells). So when they need to go out, we just attach them and out they go. When we were potty training them, I would still go outside with them while they were attached to the cables. This way, they don't run away.