It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:48 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Spring cleaning
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:02 pm 

Usually once a year I will bring in the ladder and dust all the bookshelves. Even the very tops. It's amazing to me how thick the dust gets. You'd think it was never touched... And I often wonder if it's worth cleaning. Lol!

I do this for the kitchen cabinets, too. The dust up there is always bad. I guess because of cooking in there, it's a stickier dust. I get warm soapy water in the sink and bring down all the what-nots and clean them, too. I didn't do it last year so I'm kind of afraid now... ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:02 pm 

We could be each other's "Flylady". :) What 6 things would you like to accomplish in addition to regular upkeep?

Let's see... for me....
kitchen ceiling
kitchen cupboards
under/behind appliances
oven
declutter livingroom
windows
and i'm gonna add my car

Whew! I know the work involved in those things and i'm already sweating!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:45 pm 

Ooh
1 is vacuuming the car! That's a good one. I never think of it unless I'm driving. But that's another thing I need to do!

2 refrigerator was cleaned out and under after the hurricane so that's good for a while.

3 washer dryer area... I did pull everything out and cleaned under and around the entire laundry room area recently... We had a bad ant outbreak in there. (again.. Thanks hurricane!) so that's been cleaned.

4 I need to get under the stove. ::shiver::

5 carpets shampooed because of dogs.. Who are now locked up at night and when we are away from home.

6 haul off items meant for donation. I'm great at getting it all sorted and ready to go... But putting it all in the car and taking it off is another matter.

7. Ceilings and air vents could use dusting. (tip: do this and ceiling fans BEFORE vacuuming lol!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:38 pm 

Sis have you used the FlyLady app? You can customize the task lists. I will be good about using it for a while then forget about it for awhile. Now is definitely a good time for me to get back in that habit. We want to get our house ready to sell and move further out in the country with a place for a garden and chickens! Clutter is my main problem. We are all bad to just stack piles of things that grow.

One thing I thought of is I need to vacuum the walls. We have ceiling fans on year round and the walls get so dusty. I use a canister vacuum with a long hose and wood floor attachment type head to do the walls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
Sis have you used the FlyLady app? You can customize the task lists. I will be good about using it for a while then forget about it for awhile. Now is definitely a good time for me to get back in that habit. We want to get our house ready to sell and move further out in the country with a place for a garden and chickens! Clutter is my main problem. We are all bad to just stack piles of things that grow.

One thing I thought of is I need to vacuum the walls. We have ceiling fans on year round and the walls get so dusty. I use a canister vacuum with a long hose and wood floor attachment type head to do the walls.

No! I never tho't to look for such a thing! Downloading it now; thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:36 pm 

When you search for FlyLady in google play, you will need to download the FlyHelper License first, then the FlyHelper Personal Organizer. At least I did when I got it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:11 pm 

Tory wrote:
Usually once a year I will bring in the ladder and dust all the bookshelves. Even the very tops. It's amazing to me how thick the dust gets. You'd think it was never touched... And I often wonder if it's worth cleaning. Lol!

I do this for the kitchen cabinets, too. The dust up there is always bad. I guess because of cooking in there, it's a stickier dust. I get warm soapy water in the sink and bring down all the what-nots and clean them, too. I didn't do it last year so I'm kind of afraid now... ;)

You need a ladder? :? Maybe you need shorter bookshelves! :lol: I just stand on a chair but i am seriously trying to get myself to get rid of at least one bookshelf this year. :o And i got rid of my knick-knacks long ago. It's all about paring down. I feel surrounded by people talking about "going thru stuff" after someone dies and how daunting it is. I know my family. Everything will go in the dumpster without even going thru it well. :roll: I need to keep only special things so they are more likely to consider keeping things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:14 pm 

Oh yes.. My fireplace has built in book shelves on each side. They go almost to the ceiling. I love them.

I'm considering painting them but if I do there's no going back... So I'm undecided!

Cleaning them is a job in itself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:23 pm 

Tory wrote:
Oh yes.. My fireplace has built in book shelves on each side. They go almost to the ceiling. I love them.

I'm considering painting them but if I do there's no going back... So I'm undecided!

Cleaning them is a job in itself.

Sounds lovely but what a dilemma! I have brick around the fireplace that's blackened. I've not been able to scrub it off and sometimes i want to paint it. Dh says no and, like you said, there would be no going back! So i don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:48 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:

Wait. The app costs? Well, the app is free but you have to register for $10 for 3 months? I've been part of the Flylady community, off and on, for many years but i've never paid for it. While i wouldn't mind supporting her, actually, i can get the same thing from the Cozi free! I think. Well, i'll go check them both out. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next