It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:15 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Speaking of grocery stores/shopping...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 pm 

Thought I'd start a new thread to not be off topic in the other one.

Our Wal m has taken out nearly all the cashiers. They are going to the check-yourself-out machine scanners. :evil: like I didn't hate shopping enough? Now they expect me to scan all my own items? Those machines are always messing up when I only try to checkout a few items. I rarely use them, only when the registers are backed up and only when I have a few items. I can't imagine having to do this with an entire cart full if groceries.

Post subject: Re: Speaking of grocery stores/shopping...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:42 pm 

I remember seeing a news item where those self checkers were a loss point. Our wm does not have them. I do not think they are convenient, either. People with autism like them because you can shop without human contact :(

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:03 pm 

They have about 30 registers that are never opened. The only time they open all registers is at Christmas!! Usually we wait in line... There are a few 20 item or less aisles that are helpful. There were some registers at least but now there will be mostly self checkout.

They've done a complete overhaul of the entire store. It's even more confusing than it was, and less registers! Crazy.
I may just shop at Kroger. They are more expensive but at least they have people bagging groceries.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:31 pm 
Site Owner

We have a bunch of self checkout stations at our Walmart, and they are almost always a faster way to get out of there than a regular register. As it is, I do ANYTHING to avoid Walmart. It's slow, the cashiers are surly, and the store is neither appealing nor clean.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:40 pm 

Tory wrote:
Thought I'd start a new thread to not be off topic in the other one.

Our Wal m has taken out nearly all the cashiers. They are going to the check-yourself-out machine scanners. :evil: like I didn't hate shopping enough? Now they expect me to scan all my own items? Those machines are always messing up when I only try to checkout a few items. I rarely use them, only when the registers are backed up and only when I have a few items. I can't imagine having to do this with an entire cart full if groceries.

I went to our credit union today to withdraw some money. I went through the drive through section, and I could not find a withdraw slip in the regular stands. An employee was walking between the drive thru areas and telling people that they have set up a new automated system. So I pulled up, a teller popped up on the screen, asked me what I wanted to do, when I told him what I wanted to do, he asked me to type in my account number. Then, he confirmed my already existing ID picture with my face in the camera, and pushed buttons on his end and about a minute later, my money came out. He then asked me if I wanted a receipt, so a few seconds later, a receipt popped out. The point of this is everything is going automated. I dread WalMart, but when I do go there, I do go to the self checkout as much as possible. The lines are long and slow. I can check myself out much faster.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:25 pm 

Our Kroger is cheaper than Wal Mart - and Aldi is WAYYY cheaper. The last time I went to Wal Mart (I rarely go there), DD declared on the way out "When I grow up, I will NEVER shop at Wal Mart!" Their prices were horrible, service nonexistent, and selection was poor.

Strangely, I'm not philosophically anti Wal Mart the way some folks are - I just can't find a reason to go there. Except for Socks. They had the socks I needed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:29 pm 

I don't like dealing with people, but even I prefer the checker over the machine. That's how bad they are. I think they need to recognize it's a failure and get rid of them.