It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:47 am

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Is cussing "normal" at your house?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:51 pm 

Do people in your home feel free to let loose?
Or maybe they just "slip up" occasionally?
How many tv shows or books do you own/watch that have a lot of cussing in them? or any?
Where do you draw the line?
Are there certain words or phrases that are taboo while others are ok?

I am feeling rather surprised, embarrassed, saddened and confused by Christians all around me that seem to think it's a-ok. No problemo. They don't seem to give it a tho't. Am i just "old-fashioned"?

Eph 4:29 says Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Post subject: Re: Is cussing "normal" at your house?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:40 pm 

Yeah. No.

Not our thing.

If it breaks the Commandment about misusing God's Name, it is VERY offensive to me.

There's no way to filter out 100%, but DD doesn't even know what most of the "4 letter words" sound like. If she accidentally rhymes one "Duck, cluck, tuck . . . " I let her know that that isn't a good word to say, and we go on.

If someone lets a word slip in conversation, it doesn't much bother me. If they swear with intentionality, meanness, or to "be cute" it bothers me greatly. If a blogger swears, I usually unsubscribe. Bloggers have plenty of time to edit, and make sure that what they are saying isn't crass.

I do have family members (not in our household) who swear with abandon, but usually just carelessly - and I can overlook it fairly easily.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:41 am 

There was no swearing in my home growing up, no swearing in my home with my kids. My dad said people who swore were dumb, they filled in their missing vocabulary with swear words.

"...with men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matthew 19:26

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 am 

No, you're not old fashioned. I don't know any Christians who think cussing is okay, at least not judging by their demeanor or speech. It sounds like you need to surround yourself with different people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:56 pm 

Sis wrote:
Do people in your home feel free to let loose?
Or maybe they just "slip up" occasionally?
How many tv shows or books do you own/watch that have a lot of cussing in them? or any?
Where do you draw the line?
Are there certain words or phrases that are taboo while others are ok?

I am feeling rather surprised, embarrassed, saddened and confused by Christians all around me that seem to think it's a-ok. No problemo. They don't seem to give it a tho't. Am i just "old-fashioned"?

Eph 4:29 says Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

Growing up, my dad would smack us down if he ever heard any of kids swearing. However, my mom could out swear a sailor. She came from a very rough past, and no one in her house were even remotely close to being saints. I'm sure my dad swore while he was growing up with two brothers and a dad, but he rarely swore around us kids. Since my mom swore, I was the worse of my siblings. I reached a point where the neighborhood parents forbad their kids from hanging around me because I would let loose. I eventually caught on that my swearing was interferring with my friends so I started to curb my tongue. **I was not raised in a Christian home and never went to church so while I knew better, I really didn't care.

Fast forward to when my dh and I got married. I started to become more discerning around the people I could and could not swear. When I became saved and started going to church (after marriage), I stopped swearing all together. Only when I was extremely upset, did I let loose a volley of swear words. For the past 9 years, being involved with SeaCadets and being around all the military people from all branches, the swearing around me has increased 10 fold. I, too, have gotten bad about it. Most of the time, it is because I am upset and ready to scream my head off, so instead, I swear. Some of the military guys, specifically, because they know I am a Christian will purposely "swear up a storm" and really use foul language and then some just to upset me. As much as possible, I try to avoid these people, but you cannot always do that. Sometimes, I just stand there and take it. I try to convey that they can swear all they want, but it will not affect me. This is why I consider being in Sea Cadets a mission's field for me. I don't go overseas on "mission's trips" because what I do, and others like me, are trying to be a positive image among the "not so positive."

As far as books and movies go, the more swearing, the less I like it, and eventually turn it off. I have never seen the movie, "Band of Brothers," because I heard from someone it is non stop swearing. I did watch the first season of The Game of Thrones, and I could barely tolerate it. I loved the overall plot of the story, but the onslaught of swearing just to swear was a complete turn off for me. I gave up watching it. Another series m dh and I watched was Boardwalk. While there is a lot of swearing in it, it is not as bad as Game of Thrones. To be truthfully, you just can't get away from the swearing.

Sure, I could never watch tv or movies ever again or never read a book that has swearing in it, but it would be extremely limited. Kuddos to the people that can. Im just not one of them. I will be selective, but I will not give it up, all together.

The same principle with the gay/lesbian agenda. Disney's latest movie,"Beauty and the Beast" is going to featuer a gay person and have their first kiss. In multiple books and movies/tv shows, you can't get away from it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:31 pm 

Yes. My kids do swear. I never allowed it in my home when they were little, but my dh would swear around them terribly when they were away from home. He was the type to "play nice" at home but be his true self away from home. If the DC were with him, he'd just say "don't tell your mother" but they would tell me sometimes.

Now they swear a lot. I call them down if it gets bad, and the f word is not tolerated here or in my earshot or any that uses the Lord's name. I don't watch TV or movies with a lot of cursing.
As for my kids, I figure they will have to be convicted of it. I was a bad mouthed child. God pretty much corrected me when I became a Christian. (Stacy, my story is similar to yours.)

I do say some bad words every now and then. I shouldn't! but old habits creep in when I stump a toe, or almost get hit head on driving.. It doesn't make it right but I'd be lying if I said I never swear.