It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:42 pm

HSC AffiliatesClick here for our affiliate link to Christianbook.comDonate to HSC

Post subject: Re: Home meal delivery services.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 am 

Anna1111 wrote:
Sis wrote:
Well, it IS pricey. I don't want to sign up for a twice-a-week plan! As for the why - for us it's because we like to experiment! And if you need an odd spice or ingredient you get just enuf for the meal. One of our major fridge problems is having so many condiment things - different oils and vinegars and dressings and mustards and such. Getting just enuf for the recipe sounds very nice! I don't need 16 oz of "banana catsup", for example! LOL

Banana Catsup is a Philippine ingredient! I used to eat it regularly there. After I got back home, I tried Filipino food at a festival and asked, "Where did you get your Banana Catsup?! They said "We just used sweet & sour sauce!"

If you look on "Cook's Thesaurus" (and ask us : ) you usually don't have to buy a huge variety of different bottles - just use something you have : )

Special oils, vinegars, and mustards are usually unnecessary if you have a small sampling at home to chose from : )

BLASPHEMOUS!!! Part of the point is to try the weird ingredient! Funny that you've actually HAD banana catsup! But, i want to TRY it, not own it for the rest of my life! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am 

LisaTX wrote:
I have heard about them, but could never see myself doing it. I never understood the point. There is a local service that I AM interested in, though: curbside service. Walmart does it and the grocery store chain that we shop at is starting to do it, too. You order your groceries only, THEY do the shopping for you, you pull up and they load it into your car, FOR FREE! Well, at Walmart it's free, the other store charges $5, but I would gladly pay it! If they would just hop into my car and come home with me and cook it, too! :lol:

As a busy mom of 4, I could really use that service. Unfortunately, the grocery store in our town hasn't started it yet, it's just the ones in bigger cities, but I'm sitting here waiting for it, lol.

Lisa, I do this online grocery shopping and it is AWESOME! Our WM doesn't do it yet but several grocery stores do for a small fee, $4.95 here. I heard Publix does it free but you still have to go in and check out, no curb service, but one is not convenient to me. The grocery I use charges a small fee but I usually shop once a month, sometimes twice if they have free shopper deals. Dh does make occasional stops at WM for bread, milk, some produce in between trips but I greatly prefer my grocery to WM for produce. They regularly offer free personal shopper deals, and regularly send out $10 off $50 order coupons. It is so worth it to me. I detest shopping lol. It's nice to stay on budget too because you see exactly what your total is as you add items to your cart and you are not picking up extra items while in the store because you never go in! You can see the weekly sale flyer and other items not shown in the flyer have sale prices in red so you can tell easily what's on sale this week. They accept coupons and all that. I have no complaints about any of the meats or produce they have ever picked for me. If they are out of a sale item, they will call you and offer to sub a brand of equal or greater value but at the sale price and ask if you need to add anything to your order that you forgot. They have always upgraded to a better brand than the one I was asking for. I'm very frugal lol. I rave about this to everyone but most people just look at me like I have 3 heads lol. I've been doing this maybe 5 years and it is awesome! The stores here offer the personal shopper service free the first time you try it, so check out your stores and you may get to try it for free :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:47 am 

Hmmm. There are times this would be very handy - especially in bad weather. ;) Shopping is a chore, that's for SURE. Make your list, remember to take your list, put items in the cart, go back for items you missed somehow, walk clear around the huge store (good for exercise anyway), then put your items on the conveyor belt, then take them OFF the conveyor belt as you bag them and put them back in the cart, then wheel them out to your car, then put bags in your car, then put the cart away, then drive home and take the bags OUT of your car, take the items out of the bags and then put them away! Whew! Add bad weather and you feel like you've run a marathon! LOL 8-)

But NOT seeing new things or getting ideas for things by seeing products you've overlooked before?! :o

I doubt our stores do this for US because we are 1/2 hour out. ?? But online? It might be worth a go at times! And yes, it would definitely help stay on budget!!! :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 am 

Briva wrote:
I know a single teacher who uses Blue Apron. She has no time to plan and cook for one. She says the meals for one, can easily stretch for three. These services are more than likely targeting professional singles or couples who are tired of eating out.

Yes! Think about it, no planning meals, no making shopping lists for main meals, no going shopping - gas and time. And if the meals stretch for several meals you'd have it made in the shade! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:50 pm 

Thought you'd find this review interesting
https://www.homemakingorganized.com/in- ... or-family/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:25 am 

Over $100 for two meals... :(
But it's great to get a hands on review. It does look like something fun to try (if one old afford it).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:42 am 

My friends do that. They are an older couple. It is just the two of them. They really like it. I cannot remember which one they use though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm 

Tory, that's one of the more spendy ones. Most run closer to $70, i think. The "family" ones seem to run about $8.75 per person per meal. I don't know how much food you get but they SAY that 3 servings will feed 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids. Also, you could add sides or dessert and make it stretch but, of course, that would add to the cost a little.

Since i did NOT sign up i am getting emails saying i can have one or two FREE meals when i sign up! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:22 pm 

That's pricey for my budget for what you get. For that amount of money per person I would go out and let someone else cook it and clean it up! And I'd still have leftovers for another meal. Cooking to satisfy everyone and then cleaning it all up are my least favorite parts of dinner! :)

A friend of mine was planning to try one of them. I should ask her if she ever did. They are semi-retired and own a little shop now and are tired of trying to cook when they get home and tired of eating out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:30 pm 

coastal Carol wrote:
That's pricey for my budget for what you get. For that amount of money per person I would go out and let someone else cook it and clean it up! And I'd still have leftovers for another meal. Cooking to satisfy everyone and then cleaning it all up are my least favorite parts of dinner! :)

A friend of mine was planning to try one of them. I should ask her if she ever did. They are semi-retired and own a little shop now and are tired of trying to cook when they get home and tired of eating out.

For us, "eating out" entails a half hour trip to town and another half hour home. My mom can't go because of her intestinal disorder. Then there's the blah-factor - we know our restaurants pretty well and there are few that would be better than these type of recipes, imho. Like i said, we like to experiment and try NEW things. :mrgreen:

To eat out special we easily pay $60 or more BUT... it's not twice a week! We've actually cut down on eating out recently so it's *feasible* to do this once or twice. Not the best use of money maybe but since it would be our "entertainment" we could probably justify it! :P